Question about filter pressure gauge

Mar 5, 2013
Fort Worth Texas
I just had a new Raypak heater installed and a check valve becuse i have a salt cell.
Now my filter ( 1 year old hayward 72 sq ft ) pressure gauge stays at ten when i turn off the pump.
If i open the relief valve ( top of filter ) it sucks air in and the gauge will go to zero.
Is this correct operation .
As long as i can remember the gauge has always went to zero with pump off.

Is my gauge bad ? Or did the old leaky heater let air out?
Thanks for any advice...:D

What was the running pressure before your heater was installed?

What is it now?

How high above the rest of your system is the heater system?

Do you have a bypass valve for the heater at the level of the filter?

If so, put the heater system in bypass and test again. I suspect there is enough back pressure in the heater to seal the check valve and not allow the pressure in your filter to bleed down. If the test shows the pressure immediately goes to 0, that is the answer to your question.

In the over all scheme of things 10 psi is not much pressure and should not be a problem until you try to open the filter itself. If your filter cap is 8" in diameter, with a static pressure of 10psi, the over all pressure seen by the cap is 500 pounds. (Area of the cap in square inches X the static psi.). With that type of pressure, the chances of opening the filter are between 0 and none.

Now my filter ( 1 year old hayward 72 sq ft ) pressure gauge stays at ten when i turn off the pump.
If i open the relief valve ( top of filter ) it sucks air in and the gauge will go to zero.
Is this correct operation .
If you have positive pressure in the filter and you open the pressure relief valve, water should come out, not air get sucked in. Also, a filter should never maintain any pressure when the pump is off. There should always be a path to relieve the pressure out of the returns.

However, it is normal for a filter to suck in air when the pressure relief valve is opened with the pump off if the filter is installed above water level. This is just the water draining out of the filter.

Probably a bad gauge. When the pump is shut off, tap the gauge. When gauges get old, they sometimes stick.

That was it !!! Bad gadge ... Only about 2 years old!!!! Let me guess bet the salt got to it ??

My caretaker 99 in floor valve is supposed to be approved for salt use, every year the metal shafts that hold the gears rust up bad enough to stop it. Have to get a rebuild kit every year!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But the needles are stuck at a 10psi rise right? Which is not when we recommend to clean filters. Although I guess at least that lets you mark the clean pressure instead of having to write it down or remember it.

Bought a gauge from TFP.net two years ago. MUCH better than the one I got at Lowes and MUCH larger dial. Just my $.02... Sami

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.