Leak - how to check stairs

jimg

Jun 22, 2012
Smithtown, NY
I've been fighting a leak in our inground 42,000 vinyl liner pool. Had the liner and stairs replaced 9 years ago. At the end of last season (and over the winter) the pool has been leaking water. I refill, just to have it drain out. I suspect that it was near the return lines or the light, so I let it drain out so I could find its level.

This weekend I removed the cover to inspect. Here's what I found.

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

stairs1.jpg

stairs2.jpg

I initially thought that the light was the problem, so removed the light to inspect the niche. I assumed that where the wire went through the niche would be the culprit, but the water level is significantly below the grommet. I still think that the cable could be sealed better, so I am on the hunt for some Butyl tape to pack in around the grommet.

The water level seems to be sitting right at the bottom of the stairs. The stairs are (relatively) new and do not have any cracks in them. I'd like to do some more inspection, but I am unsure how to remove the "molding" around the liner to inspect.

Any suggestions on how to better diagnose this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.