Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what did you use to cut your steel studs?

1. Back To Top    #1

what did you use to cut your steel studs?

whats the best way to cut the studs? i'd really like to be able to use my chop saw since there are gonna be tons if cuts thats going to be the same size.

I can get a diamond cut off saw but i think 25gauage is so thinh almost anything can cut it.
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what did you use to cut your steel studs?

I had 20ga studes and used a chop saw with diamond blade and tin snips.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

3. Back To Top    #3

I cut everything to length with a 14" chop saw. It made easy work of everything I had to cut. For the small cuts I used some tin snips.

Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

I would suggest the chop as well to ensure square cuts and more uniform as well.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

5. Back To Top    #5

-Where did you buy your steel studs from? Home Depot only seems to have 25 Guage steel?

-Doesn't bbqcoach recommend 18 guage (not sure)

-Is the 25 guage from Home Depot okay for an outdoor application? Where in Houston can I buy a better quality guage steel stud?
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

6. Back To Top    #6

I bought 20 ga studs at a local lumber yard and used them for 99% of the build. I needed a couple extra in a pinch and bought some from Home Depot that were 25 ga. They seemed like they would be way too flimsy on their own to support a heavy concrete countertop.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

i used 25gauge cause thats what my local hd had. I questioned the same thing but after reading forums after forums most confirm that 25 gauge is fine.

And to answer my own question, i picked up a 7 1/4" diablo metal demon blade and used it on my 10" chop saw with a little modification I'm chopping studs like butter as advertised on the package. made 30 cuts in less than 20 minutes cause u can bundle them and chop away. Best 40 dollars spent so far.

8. Back To Top    #8

There are two potential failure mods to the studs 1) compression 2) buckling.
    1) With the weight on the top pushing down you could have a compression failure. However think of the force that would be needed to compress a stud. A lot more than even a concrete countertop is.
    2)The more likely failure mode is buckling. If a stud was able to move (in or out) it could bend then the weight of the top could crush it. However once you put the 1/4" hardi, screw the top and bottom runners on, and provide corner braces it becomes a pretty rigid body.

The studs provide a skeleton to build on. You need to think of the finished product though. Each piece of hardi, rock, mortor, bag of concrete, etc. provides additional stiffness and rigidity.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here