Cloudiness and Yellow dust comes back within a few days of stopping Slam

Apr 13, 2015
Round Rock, TX
I did two weeks of slamming my pool, until the water was the clearest I've seen for a couple of years. No drop overnight of Chlorine, and .5 CC level.

After a couple days of starting to lower the chlorine, I've gotten back to a cloudy pool. I'm wondering what I should do now. I just ran all the tests, with the following results.

FC - 3.0
CC - 0.5
CYA - 45-50
PH - 7.8(up from 7.5 yesterday)
TA - 90
CH - 550

I'm going to bring the PH down right now, and then bring up the Chlorine to 6 after 30 mins.

CH seems a bit high, but consistent with the water being hard in this area, I believe.

Well, your FC is too low for your CYA. You may have had a little algae sneak back in there.

Or, pollen maybe.

Bring the FC up around 10 and do another OCLT tonight to see if anything is growing.

The FC only got down to 3.0 over the last night/morning, I had been keeping it between 5 and 7 once it moved down from SLAM levels. I didn't get a chance to add chlorine this morning because of a rainstorm. I had upped it to 8 last night, so I was not expecting it to go down that low by this afternoon.

Looked back over my notes, and I raised the chlorine from 5 to 8 yesterday morning, not night. I expected it to be back around 5 today.

- - - Updated - - -

There is for sure a lot of pollen in there, with two thunderstorms in the last three days. I assumed if I kept FC from 5 to 8 it would keep everything at bay. I definitely did not expect the level to get down to 3 in one day.

Yes, 6-8 will keep it at bay, but dropping to 3 it will start growing fast. Have to keep it above 4 or 5 at all times. Good job having some notes! I like it. :goodjob:

I've kept the chlorine above 10 for the past two days, and things keep getting worse. I can barely see the bottom, and every time I sweep the pool there is a layer of yellow powder that is stirred up. This layer keeps getting larger every day.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm running the pump 24/7 right now. I added the filter model to my signature. I'm not sure what the sizing of a filter is. Is it the flow rate? If so, it says 150 gallons/minute.
I cleaned the filter on Saturday, and it was not dirty at all, other than being yellow. There wasn't much, if any, particles in the filter fins.

hmm, the more I look up about mustard algae, the less it seems that's what it is. I have a shallow ledge, and the yellow color accumulates around where I have a small fountain. That whole area is in the sun most of the day, so I would think that this wouldn't be where mustard algae would be the thickest..
I'm going to try a skimmer sock to see how much pollen it collects daily.

Well, it would be good news if it isn't! Is there yellow stuff on the pool deck? Furniture? Cars? When we were in prime pollen season a couple of weeks ago I got our old truck out from the barnyard to haul some stuff and it was green and fuzzy! Also, hosing off the pool deck and it was greenish.

skimmer socks and 24x7 running the pump (on low if you have VS or 2 speed) to filter it our are really the best options for that. Careful with the skimmer socks, I've had them clog completely and shut off all water flow through the skimmers before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.