Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover coming off Tuesday, wondering?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cover coming off Tuesday, wondering?

Last year when the cover came off they put some Trichlor in it I think. Then I took it and followed directions on this site and my water was perfect all year. I am wondering if I need them to put anything in the pool at all. Also I wonder if I should SLAM the pool before doing anything?

I am leaving town Wed morning and won"t be back till Sunday. Bad scheduling I know.

What should I look for upon opening and what are some general guidelines to follow when opening. Last year I was totally green to the opening process but I don't want to do something this year that I can"t take back.

Ideas?
    20x49 double roman 3.5' to 8.5 deep', 44,000 gal. SWG, TF-100 test kit with speed stir, concrete walls with vinyl liner, cartridge filter on an IG pool with a 1hp main pump and 1.5hp booster pump. Pool built April 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cover coming off Tuesday, wondering?

How warm is your water? Seems kind of late to be opening in TN. We recommend opening while the water is in the 50s ... so I would guess your pool is going to be green again.

You should get things running, circulate for an hour or so and then do a full set of tests to find out what you need to adjust. We do not guess, we test.

Why even take the cover off if you are going to be gone for 5 days?

If the water is green, then you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process, which can not have a 5 day break in the middle.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would think the water will be in the low 60s. People seem to be opening pools around here at end of April till middle of May.

My water was not green last year and has never been green since putting pool in in 2013.

I'm not taking cover off, wife had people that put it in lined up to do it this Tuesday. I'm not yet comfortable opening and closing. seems the procedure for opening and closing is a little different from all my friends that have pools. It doesn't seem that difficult but they drain NO water out of my pool to close it. Most of my friends drain theirs down below jets but I was told if I do that the liner will come off the steps.
    20x49 double roman 3.5' to 8.5 deep', 44,000 gal. SWG, TF-100 test kit with speed stir, concrete walls with vinyl liner, cartridge filter on an IG pool with a 1hp main pump and 1.5hp booster pump. Pool built April 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

I misunderstood your green opening comment.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Opening is as easy as taking the cover off........ "IF" you close it correctly.

Here is the key.....Close late, open early.

You should try it this year....Its really not that bad.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM