Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to vacuum with my setup?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to vacuum with my setup?

Pool Pals:

New to this site, and really am learning a lot! Just got my nice test kit. What a difference. My pool is getting in shape for the summer.

I have always done my own pool maintenance, but this year I feel better prepared thanks to this site. Now, one thing I have never done with my pool is vacuum. I don't even have one. I do brush the pool. My pool does have a skimmer where I could attach a hose and get a simple vacuum. But my equipment is not set up for vacuum to waste. So, it would all go into the filter. Is there a problem with that? I guess it would mean I would need to clean my cartridge filters more often. Thoughts here? My pool does have a Polaris sweep on a pump, but that is not the same as vacuuming.
    18,000 gallon in ground pool built 2008, PebbleSheen surface, Aquapure salt system, Jandy 580 filter, Polaris sweep with booster pump, 2 stage filter pump, Suntopia solar heat; Marquis 630 ultimate spa, 2008, 390 gallons, built in ozonator, Saltron Mini Salt Water chlorine Generator for spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to vacuum with my setup?

I seldom vacuum to waste now that I have my CYA down because it wastes water. Pick up a skimmer sock and place it over the basket in your skimmer. A over the top of that you will need a skimmer vacuum plate which seals the skimmer and has a hole for the vacuum hose. Vacuume away. The skimmer basket with sock will catch most of the stuff before it gets to the filter.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Excellent suggestion! I will look into that.
    18,000 gallon in ground pool built 2008, PebbleSheen surface, Aquapure salt system, Jandy 580 filter, Polaris sweep with booster pump, 2 stage filter pump, Suntopia solar heat; Marquis 630 ultimate spa, 2008, 390 gallons, built in ozonator, Saltron Mini Salt Water chlorine Generator for spa

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to add........if you can't get a good seal by using the vac plate------ditch it and plug the hose directly into the skimmer hole. Mine never worked right. No issues.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

My pool does have a Polaris sweep on a pump, but that is not the same as vacuuming.
    Well, sort of. It actually is intended to take the place of vacuuming. Why do you think you need to vacuum (I think you do to)? That said, don't think you have to run your polaris and vacuum all the time. I would count on the polaris to get 80-90% and then maybe a manual vac sometimes (not often) for a more thorough job.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I have never used one for the 7 years I have had the pool, but when I brush there is often fine stuff that gets suspended in the water. Seems to me that I could vacuum sometimes and get that out more easily.