1st Pool Build - Freeport, TX

textommyboy

Bronze Supporter
Jun 21, 2014
Pearland/Freeport, TX
We're looking to build a 15' x 35' rectangular pool in Freeport, TX. The house borders a canal off of the Intracoastal Waterway. The yard we want to build the pool in has 60' of bulkhead with a gradual 2' slope (compared to the slab of the house). We've met with a couple of gunite PBs and here's the lower of the two quotes:

- 15' x 35' rectangular pool w/built-in 8' x 15' tanning ledge w/(2) small benches/step-ins at the opposite end corners
- 560 sq ft of Sundek
- 20' Deco drain
- (2) bubblers on tanning ledge
- Jandy 2HP variable speed pump (equipment pad inside garage)
- Jandy 460 cartridge filter (equipment pad inside garage)
- Jandy inline chlorinator
- Time clock w/freeze protection
- Polaris 9350 robotic cleaner
- (3) Savi LED lights
- (2) Ledge Loungers
- "Level 5" Wetedge pebble plaster w/15 year warranty
- Cement cantilever coping
- Grass repair in access area
- Ground pack under pool structure
- 3 year warranty on all Jandy equipment
- 2 year warranty on deck and coping
- Lifetime transferable warranty on gunite structure

The PB quoted $50,500. Because of the slope in the yard the PB has to build a 24"-36" deep "turn down" to support the pool and deck edge closest to the bulkhead. Here are the PB's renderings to give you'll an idea of the pool shape/look. Please disregard the landscaping.
001.jpg003.jpg004.jpg

We originally wanted a basic brushed cement deck with cantilever deck pool edge (similar to what you see with fiberglass pools) but this PB says he does not do that and all their pools include travertine coping. Because of this we are leaning toward the silver travertine coping with a grey colored Sundek.

I'd love to get your thoughts and opinions on this PB's quote. This will be our first pool ever and TFP has been very educational and helpful! Any tips/recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Re: 1st Pool Quote - Freeport, TX

Without a spa, I'd say it seems pretty high. We interviewed between 6-10 PB's and had about a $25k range in price. I can say that our lowest bid (and also the guy we liked the most) was only a few thousand more than your bid with likely a reasonably larger pool with a spa and about 750 sq ft of decking. We also had a pretty large raised wall and have a similar slope to you. Ultimately, we are about to begin digging our own pool. Certainly, this is not for most people, but I am excited to see how it all shakes out.

Either way, I suggest you interview more pool builders and consider building in off season if you are hoping to save money. Right now, builders are busy - so they all charging their premium price.

Hey, we like to hang out in Freeport sometimes. We miss Willie Joe's.

Nice looking pool. Seems 6k or 8k higher than Dallas, but I don't know about what ya'll have to deal with on high water tables, hurricanes and other coastal conditions. That probably adds a few bucks!

I like the deep end benches, good for kids to play and adults to sit and sip. And VS pumps are nice.

Hey TommyBoy, Yes, $ seems higher considering it does not have a spa. I'm thinking the slope of your yard is adding to the cost. I would ask for a itemized price listing of all equipment and find out how much you are paying for decking. I believe I paid $8 square foot (cement,rebar and sundeck coating) I believe you could negotiate more square fooage around the pool.

Wonder what the added cost is for the sloped yard? Are you going with an inline chlorinator or SWG?

Design looks nice!

Wonder what the added cost is for the sloped yard? Are you going with an inline chlorinator or SWG?
I don't know the exact cost of the turn down to compensate for the slope in the yard but I'll request an itemized quote from them. We are going with an inline chlorinator as the PB did not recommend SWG due to the already salty/humid environment in Freeport.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far! Keep'em coming if you have more comments and recommendations. We're going to request an itemized quote and I'll update the original post when/if we get it. We are reaching out to other PBs to get more quotes but the other PB's quote (very close to Freeport) was about $12K higher with lesser equipment specs.

We are going with an inline chlorinator as the PB did not recommend SWG due to the already salty/humid environment in Freeport.

That is a first! Seems improbable to me that the low level of salt in a saltwater pool could cause more problems or add salt to an already salty environment.

Here is an article from Pool School about How to Chlorinate Your Pool, discussing the cons of using pucks and the ever increasing CYA level in you pool.

I don't think it's that far off, but I don't live in your area. One thing I'd do differently, is expand the decking even more. With a table and chairs, and then chase lounges, it fills up quick.

Is that you at the grill, and what are you cooking? The dog looks more interested in the food than the pool...

I don't think it's that far off, but I don't live in your area. One thing I'd do differently, is expand the decking even more. With a table and chairs, and then chase lounges, it fills up quick.

Is that you at the grill, and what are you cooking? The dog looks more interested in the food than the pool...
Thanks for your feedback crabboy! For now the budget only allows for that much deck space. We have plans to expand at a later point either with more concrete or composite wood decking where the imaginary landscaping is currently at. We have to leave the space closest to the house relatively open for now as we are also looking to expand the upstairs deck to make it a wraparound deck along that side of the house and to the front.

We actually have two dogs but I guess our quoted price may go up if the PB renders a second dog. As for what I'm cooking it's probably my wallet and the dog's worried that I'm burning through his dog treats budget.

Seems kind of high for the bill of materials you have. Not sure how much the "turn down" is costing but without a spa that's about a $ 35K to 40K pool. Are there only a few PB's in your area, not much competition? Do you live in a area (like me) that PB's think everybody that lives in that area has plenty of money to throw away on a pool? The reason given for not installing a SWG is a bunch of bull. The main reason you would stay away from a SWG is because you have a bunch of soft stone(like flagstone) around you pool. The cantilever deck pool edge can be done too, you'll just have to keep shopping PB's to find one who will do it. Unless there are just not that many PB's for you to shop i'm sure there is a PB that will build your pool the way you want and do it at a better price. Keep shopping my freind, keep shopping!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Crabboy,

Have you considered eliminating the deck on the backside of your pool so that you have more usable deck by the house? There is no hard rule for have decking on the backside ...especially if you have nice grass.

Thanks for the additional feedback everyone! We requested an itemized proposal and all we got was an Excel spreadsheet listing the details but no $'s associated with each item. Just the same total cost mentioned above and a payment schedule based on key milestones. The more feedback I receive the more it sounds like our quote is high even with the turn down. Even another similarly sized pool built by the same PB included a spa, heater and additional water features at the same price as my quote (albeit we have a higher grade of Wetedge). Can a turn down add that much cost?

I contacted another PB in Houston that I was referred to that has experience building pools near the coastline. I'm hoping to hear back from them tomorrow.

Food for thought - PB's are comming into their "busy" season of the year so I'm thinking they probably get away with charging a premium, I wonder if waiting till the "off season" to get a bid might be beneficial cost wise. We received our quotes in November/December and started dig in March '14.

Food for thought - PB's are comming into their "busy" season of the yeat so I'm thinking they probably get away with charging a premium, I wonder if waiting till the "off season" to get a bid might be beneficial cost wise. We received our quotes in November/December and started dig in March '14.
Thanks rodog123! We may have to consider that as well. I think you got a great deal on your pool.

We'll probably get a couple more PB quotes and make a decision to proceed now or wait for the fall/winter.

That is a first! Seems improbable to me that the low level of salt in a saltwater pool could cause more problems or add salt to an already salty environment.

Here is an article from Pool School about How to Chlorinate Your Pool, discussing the cons of using pucks and the ever increasing CYA level in you pool.

Sounds like my PB saying that I did not want salt. I needed to use a chlorinator and pucks. In the end he admitted that he was ignorant when it came to SWG pools and none of his guys were trained to install/maintain.

He also told me that since I had steel walls that the saltwater would eat the walls.

I did so much of my own pool that it is hard to say for me what it should cost. And it is so geographically specific. But that seems like a lot of money for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like my PB saying that I did not want salt. I needed to use a chlorinator and pucks. In the end he admitted that he was ignorant when it came to SWG pools and none of his guys were trained to install/maintain.

He also told me that since I had steel walls that the saltwater would eat the walls.

I did so much of my own pool that it is hard to say for me what it should cost. And it is so geographically specific. But that seems like a lot of money for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the SWG feedback with your PB. That may also be the case for this PB who advised against SWG's. It may be due to less experience/knowledge with SWG's.

Check out my build, ours came in around $52k without the sewer reroute and detention pond.

Your pool and outdoor space look great! I remember looking at your build earlier this year and also thought that it was a shame getting rid of the nice pond and putting green. But your new outdoor space trumps the previous!

Thanks for your info and congrats on your first baby!

We went ahead and signed with Premier Pools & Spas in Pearland. We decided to go with a cement cantilever deck edge instead of travertine coping. We got several additional quotes that were all a little bit higher than PPS's and some with lesser equipment and warranty. Overall we felt very comfortable w/PPS and decided to go with them. Permits will be requested next week. Once we get dates lined up for the dig I'll create a new pool build thread.

Thanks to everyone on TFP for the great feedback and information!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.