Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm looking for the least expensive VS pump to replace my 2hp WF pump.

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm looking for the least expensive VS pump to replace my 2hp WF pump.

Found the V-Green 165 Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor - Square Flange for $399.00. I have a aqualink rs from 2002 and looking for some kind on integration.
    There is a VGreen Automation Adapter Kit $199.00.
    The V-Green Automation Adapter provides the ability to operate a V-Green motor with a 3rd party automation system such as the Hayward Goldline Pro
    Logic, Pentair Easytouch, Jandy Aqualink, and Intermatic controls. This will allow the user to control and experience the full variable speed capability of a
    V-Green product through an existing automation system.

Will it work ?
    Built 2002, 12,500 gal IG w/waterfall spa. Pebbletec. Aqualink 8157 RS6 w/ Aqua Rite generator.
    main pump WFE-8 2.0 hp, booster WFE-8 2.0 hp for spa, waterfall W/F 1.5hp
    Pentair minimax NT heater, Pentair FNSP 48 DE filter. Haward navigator pro

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm looking for the least expensive VS pump to replace my 2hp WF pump.

I wouldn't call it full control over the speed, the way a pump/automations system that are designed to work together would give you. But the adapter kit will let you use more than one speed. Each speed you want to use requires a relay on the automation system. Installation will also be mildly complicated, not difficult exactly, but beyond most complete novices.

Depending on your needs, there may not be any reason to get the adapter kit. Most basic pools (no spa) are fine using a single speed most of the time, with just a manual option to go to a higher speed for a while.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a attached spa, with a 2hp booster pump. Still a bit confused !! Would I be able to run the vs pump on its on controls
    and use the aqualink for the spa ?
    Built 2002, 12,500 gal IG w/waterfall spa. Pebbletec. Aqualink 8157 RS6 w/ Aqua Rite generator.

4. Back To Top    #4

The default setup for that pump (without the adapter kit) is that you set the speed on the pumps control panel, and turn the pump on and off with the AuqaLink. Typically you set the pump up at some appropriate speed once, and leave it there. The pump also allows some slightly more complex setups, for example it can start at one speed and then switch to another speed after it has been running for some programable amount of time. That last is a good mode for use with your pool cleaner, which will want some time at a higher speed to clean efficiently and then the rest of the time can be at a lower speed. Since the spa has it's own pump, and the waterfall has it's own pump, and the cleaner is covered, I don't see any reason you would need to be able to change speeds from the AquaLink.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

"and turn the pump on and off with the AuqaLink." is that the power on and off with the aqualink?
    Is there someone in orange county you could recommend to install ?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, the AquaLink will power the pump on/off, just as it does for your current pump.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any builders in California. Hopefully someone else will come by and comment.