Please advise

Hello my name is Tony. In late 2013 I bought a 18' round AG pool for my girls. I spent all of 2013 and most of 2014 fighting with it. Well it is new fight and I want to win. I have about 8" of very green water left in my pool. I understand that I didn't have to drain it that much but I wanted a "fresh" start. So here is my question. Do I treat/clean the little bit of remaining water I have left or do I fill up the pool and then treat it. Also what tests are most reliable? My local pool store is Leslie's Pool Store and they offer free testing, is that recommended. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Welcome Tony :) You're gonna have a great year with your pool...if...you get your own good test kit with a FAS-DPD tester. You can order one from the link in my siggy line. Most of us here on this site use the TF-100 kit, or the K2006. I love my TF-100. Once you're doing your own reliable tests (Pool Store tests are notoriously inaccurate!) you'll know exactly what your pool needs. And what it doesn't need.
The best thing you can do is order the test kit, and while waiting for it, start reading the Pool School articles up at the top of this site.

As to your pool, If it were mine, I'd fill it up and toss in some bleach to just hold it until I got my test kit. Plain old household bleach, nothing special. But don't use the scented, splashless or outdoor bleach as they have additives in it you do not want.
When you get your test kit and are ready to start managing your pool you will first have to perform a SLAM procedure on it to assure its free of any "cooties" like algae and stuff.

Welcome :wave:

Get your own test kit and trust your results. You can buy the chemicals you need cheaper at the hardware store or the grocery store than the pool store, so you won't need to ever go in to buy anything or get their "free" testing.

Check out the ABCs, Test Kits, and Recommended Chemicals in Pool School.

As for your specific situation, if it was me, I'd drain out the rest of the green stuff and mop up the remnants with an old towel or a sponge. Whatever residual algae spores remain will be easy to kill off. As the pool fills, add a quart of plain clorox bleach every day right into the hose stream. When it's full, you get the pump going. When you're sure it's circulating and not leaking anywhere, then you test everything but CYA (because tap water has none). Adjust pH if needed, maybe adjust TA, add some stabilizer, add some bleach, and wait for it to warm up a bit. Worst case is that you need to take the chlorine level up to shock level for a day or two to eliminate any vestiges of algae.

With your own test kit and our advice, you'll just follow the Basic Pool Care Schedule and you'll never again have green or cloudy water. It can sparkle like you've never seen and be the envy of all the neighbors. Your girls will become pool snobs and refuse to get in anyone else's pool because it looks yucky. I kid you not.

Welcome. We can help you only if you help yourself to Pool School and the links provided to you by Richard. There are more in Pool School.

I kind of lean toward Richards solution, although either will work.

You ave a couple of questions in your signature and the most important being what test kit to get. Others have already pointed out the TF100.

The second question being how reliable are pool stores. Folks report that their testing is generally poor to abysmal. This is not to say there are not good ones out there run by caring owners who have the best interest in your pool at heart. The sad reality is that far to many are just looking to sell you as many products of questionable value as possible. Read through Pool School and you will find that this is a system easily followed using products you can get at competitive prices almost anywhere. No need for,the overpriced pool store stuff with fancy names.

I kind of lean toward Richards solution, although either will work.

You ave a couple of questions in your signature and the most important being what test kit to get. Others have already pointed out the TF100.

The second question being how reliable are pool stores. Folks report that their testing is generally poor to abysmal. This is not to say there are not good ones out there run by caring owners who have the best interest in your pool at heart. The sad reality is that far to many are just looking to sell you as many products of questionable value as possible. Read through Pool School and you will find that this is a system easily followed using products you can get at competitive prices almost anywhere. No need for,the overpriced pool store stuff with fancy names.

I agree. I am fortunate that one of the employees at my local pool store knows I am doing my own SLAM and he is excited to see how it goes. He did not push anything on me when I went in the other day to pick up skimmer socks. I may have even converted a customer who's pool was green and full of metals from algaecide she added per another employee.

I agree. I am fortunate that one of the employees at my local pool store knows I am doing my own SLAM and he is excited to see how it goes. He did not push anything on me when I went in the other day to pick up skimmer socks. I may have even converted a customer who's pool was green and full of metals from algaecide she added per another employee.

That employee who's excited to see how your SLAM goes should be promoted... but will probably be fired. :grrrr: Keep spreading the word!

Is a pool store test really free??????????? NOT if you are told to buy x,y,z at a big price!

A test kit and bleach will be your two main ingredients to get and keep your pool clear!

Let us know when you get your test kit and we will teach you how to use it!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.