Can anyone tell me about adding DE to sand filter?

jaydar

Mar 30, 2011
Thanks in advance. This forum is awesome and has been a great help to me.
I read that you can add diatamateous (sp?) earth through the skimmer to bring filtering to about 4 microns. I used zeosand in my Hayward Pro sand filter and running a 1 1/2hp pump. Someone told me it would just blow back into the pool.

Well the filter calls for 300lbs of #20 pool sand or 150lbs of zeosand. I opted for zeosand and may question is about adding a layer of DE for extra filtration, and if it is a good idea is it ok to add the DE through the skimmer as I had read somewhere else?

I used to add it through the skimmer with no issues but I had filter sand. You don't add that much, it did not blow back, and after you backwash the filter you will need to add it again. It's cheap enough that you could buy it and try. I got the cellulous at Home Depot, which is a DE substitute.

I don't add it anymore because once my chemical balance was aligned, I stopped having to backwash my filter so much, which allows it to do the job. My pool is crystal clear. I also learned that "a little cloudy" has everything to do with algae and very little to do with my filter not filtering properly.

I opted for zeosand and may question is about adding a layer of DE for extra filtration, and if it is a good idea is it ok to add the DE through the skimmer as I had read somewhere else?
I get it, now. I would not add DE to zeo. Why do you want to? Is your water not Crystal clear?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.