North jersey - total yard and pool install advice

Apr 26, 2015
Sparta/nj
So - if your average newbie asked a lot of questions consider a risk aversed guy from the UK - a place where owning a pool is a pipedream even from the rish and famous ;-)

We are new to the pool game and the USA (about 2.5 years). We are looking to buy a house in Sussex county and ideally one with a pool but there is limited inventory on but still many we like without a pool. Next comes the 'how long is a piece of string question' - how much will it cost to get the yard complete with an inground pool (inground we are certain of). We ha heard the 50/50 split of get/don't get a pool (cost, maintenance, resale hazards and safety (we have our second child due in August)) however going back to my opening statements - in our home country nobody has a pool so this feels like a 'within reach' luxury that is all part of our american adventure.

So looking at vinyls versus Fiberglas (edging to fiberglass) and some reputable instlalers who can do the pool and fence and land scaping.

Did see some +4 year old posts here and mention of njpoolguy but if anyone has any pointers on total costs for pool and landscaping and fence or installers it would help out a lot. May help us decide on whether to buy a property without a pool at a given price and then install right away.

Thanks in advance

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am pretty bad at estimating costs, but I think a normal sized vinyl or fiberglass pool will run in the $20k range ... that does not include landscaping and deck work if that is what you mean by "total yard & pool" install.

Hopefully others closer the area will chime in.

Since you found us first, you will find that the maintenance effort and costs are not nearly as high as most non-pool people or people who go to the pool store think it has to be.

Kids grow up fast and the sooner you can introduce them to skimming, the better they will be at it. My 6 and 4 year old daughters are fish with just a little guidance. Their form may not be great due to a lack of lessons, but they swim all over the deep end and dive down to the bottom.

I live in Morris county (Lk Hopatcong/Jefferson township). Not too far from you. I also have some young ones who would benefit from having a pool. IMO, better to have a pool early on in their lives than later.
I will have a FG pool installed 1st to 3rd week of May. Yay!!!
I interviewed a ton of PB and decided to go with a FG pool and a builder from south Jersey (Pool Designs Inc.). Give them a call, ask for Mike B., and tell them "Ash" from Lk Hopatcong sent you. :)
You can have them come out and walk you through all the particulars and see if you're comfortable with them. Once my pool is installed, shortly hopefully, I'll post pics or you could swing by and check it out for yourself.
Good luck with your journey here in the U.S. and the American Dream. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.