Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: upgrading to variable speed with a pool pilot?

1. Back To Top    #1

upgrading to variable speed with a pool pilot?

New here, already like this site, need more time too look around.

I did search and couldn't find an answer to this question.

I have a pool pilot and salt generator, in ground pool is roughly 26000 (18x36 with shallow and 8' deep end). It came with the house, I have in 4 years put in new sand filter, new chlorine generator (the plates that wear), and a new liner.

It has a hayward superpump, and the 1.5hp 56J motor is making bad noises. I work on overhead cranes, 460V electric motor, and variable frequency drives, so this swap is not beyond my skills.

I found a 56J Vgreen motor for $400 at inyo pool with free shipping. I researched all I could, looks like I can make it work with the pool pilot, so I bought it, should see it this coming week. It is the 1.65hp model, which since I am replacing the 1.5hp single speed, I felt like this would be fine.

Can anyone offer any insight as to anything special to do to make the 2 work together? Should I not try it? Let me know. Just trying to plan ahead to make the swap in 1 evening, going to get the pump seal kit locally.

Thank you --Jim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: upgrading to variable speed with a pool pilot?

Welcome to TFP!

That will be very simple to setup. Just continue to use the timer you have been using and adjust the speed on the new motor high enough to keep the SWG happy (which shouldn't be difficult) and everything will be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you.

That is what I thought, but couldn't quite confirm. I could fix the bearings in this one, or source a single speed for $100, so I spent $300 more on this, but by my calcs I will roughly pay for itself this year. We ran the old single speed too often in my estimation (what I am learning on here) so between programming better and on low speed I think I can save $70/month over what we were doing.

Looking forward to it being quieter too.

Thank you

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Well it showed up yesterday, and I even called inyopools to confirm it was a 56j and a 48A showed up. It still bolted up so I did, it runs nice. Not as quiet as I thought it would be from some on line reviews, but very happy with it so far. I haven't tried to program it, my pool is dirty from no motor, so I am running it to clean, dropped it down and it looks like 600 rpm is too low for my haywood superpump, but I was just playing and I didn't expect it to be happy. For the money, if it lasts, I will be very happy. Once I get the pool clean over the weekend, I will play with programming and where the sweet spot is.

6. Back To Top    #6

The main thing to figure out is a speed as low as possible that is still high enough so the skimmer(s) skim effectively, and the SWG, heater, or what have you, are all happy.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School