Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Water

Lowered water 6" below skimmer at closing. Taking cover off today. If water is green, do I go ahead and start filling before I start slamming?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Water

Yes because you need the pump operating during SLAM
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, that's sort of what I thought. One more question. Do I need to wait until the water level is at or above the skimmer before starting the slam?

4. Back To Top    #4

Not if you have a bottom drain and the pump can run.

Please update your signature as shown here.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I know this probably sounds like a dumb question, but how do I know if have a bottom drain or not? Haven't been dealing with pools that long.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would just wait to get the water over the skimmer unless your suction side is plumbed to have a valve to shut off the skimmer. If the main drain is plumbed through the skimmer you will probably suck air and loose prime on the pump.

******On Edit

You and I posted at the same time, just wait - easier and not much lost time
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry about the signature issue. I am on a mobile and it won't let me update. My signature works fine on my desktop. I guess I should wait until I am at my desktop before I post. Sorry for the inconvenience.

8. Back To Top    #8

No inconvenience, the signature just helps us answer questions a little easier. Post away on your mobile and just update when you get to the desktop and have a minute.

9. Back To Top    #9

Is your pool inground? Do you have a drain grate on the bottom of the pool in the deepest part of the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach