Nasty Black Pool Inherited from Home Purchase

Apr 24, 2015
Chesapeake/ Virginia
First of all I am new here, this will be my first post. I live in Chesapeake, VA.

So I bough my house back in October and was told that the pool hadn't been opened in about 2 years.

We took the cover off about a week ago and have been trying to get it cleaned up and opened. I did not have a water test kit so I can not tell you what my levels were when it was first opened up. I can tell you though it was very black. I will attach some pictures.
Either way I went to Leslies and bought their DPD test kit. (FC-TC-CC-Ph-CYA-TA-CH) I know what people say about pool stores but I was in a rush and didn't want to wait on shipping. :(

Ok so what I have tried to do so far:
I shocked with 8 lbs of Super Shock (73%). That seemed to green it up a little bit (instead of black).
I didn't write down my readings before I did that but I know that I had 0 chlorine and my Ph was around 6.5. I raised the Ph to 7.5 with Ph increase and Alkalinity prior to shocking.
Taking the advice of Leslies I waited 24hrs after that 8lb shocking and added 7oz of Copper Algaecide, he told me to wait another 24hrs and use FLOC.

I haven't done the FLOC yet but the pool doesn't look much different from putting the algaecide in than it did before it.

I finally wrote down my readings today. Ph-7.2, FC-1.5, TC-3, CYA-0, TA-40

I also need to say that I have raked a bunch of stuff off of the bottom but since I can't see down there I do not know if I am done. Most of the stuff at this point is like a muck that I want to vacuum out but I am scared to clog up pipes because I can't see. KWIM? [that is Know What I Mean]

ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS OR NEGATIVE/CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM ARE WELCOMED!!! I AM THICK SKINNED.

AFTER SHOCK AND ALGAECIDE (look you can see the first step in the shallow end :) )
photo 2.jpg
INITIAL
photo 1.jpg

Oh one last thing. There are the weird grasshopper looking bugs that I can see at the surface at night. They swim down to the bottom when I shine a flashlight on them. They have a forked slug like tail. Does anyone know what those are?

You need to decide if you are going to continue following the pool store whose objective is to sell you high priced stuff or go a path that we have found works at much less cost. Leslie's is just going to continue selling you assorted stuff and at the end tell you to drain and start over.

The TFP methods are based on accurate testing and adding what the pool needs, and only what it needs. Pouring inordinate amounts of chlorine into the pool will not fix the problem, and may damage equipment.

The first thing you need is a complete accurate test kit. The pool store doesn't sell it because they want you to come in to get your water tested and they will let you know what you need. Get The FAS-DPD upgrade to make your kit complete. www.tftestkits.net You want the XL option as you will be doing a lot of testing to get things in order.

Stop blindly "shocking" the pool, you are just throwing away money.

Forget algecides - funny thing, they don't really kill algae. Algaecides are a preventative product. And to top it off, you don't want that copper in your water because under the right conditions it will jaunt stain your pool and turn blond hair green.

Forget flock, just more problems.

There is a link at the top of the page for Pool School. Begin reading and check out the article on a SLAM. This is our method for clearing your pool.

Let the FC get back below 10 and adjust pH to the low 7's for now.

Keep scooping as much junk out of the pool as you can, you want it all gone.

For the vacuuming, does your pool set up,allow you to vacuum to waste?

Welcome to the forum. :wave: The first thing i would suggest is to continue to remove all the sludge and solids that is humanly possible. Looks like you have a nice big leaf net there so put it to good use....even if you are scooping in the blind.

Next, tell us or take a pic of the type filter you have and we'll go from there. You'll have a crystal pool in no time but you will have to exercise some patience and STAY OUT of the pool store. They gave you no favors before and they won't do you any now.

Welcome to the forum! I can't wait to see this one cleaned up. Read Pool School and stock up on bleach. Then re read Pool School. Clean up all the gunk, get some CYA in there, and start the SLAM process. Setup your signature with all of your pool info so people can help. You are on your way! Good luck!

Hello and welcome neighbor! I'm in Virginia Beach.

You've come to the right place to learn how to get your pool back from the swamp monster. You'll get very good advice and even step by step instructions here if you're willing to read and learn.

You're definitely going to need to add the fas dpd chlorine test to your kit. (like Tim said) That's the only chlorine test that will test high enough accurately so we can help you get that pool to sparkling!

The bugs are nasty but don't worry, the chlorine will take care of them as you start cleaning up.

Our methods don't mix with store methods... it just goes out of control, so a decision will need to be made. Leslie's will have you throwing tons of stuff in there which may or may not help.

You'll quickly see that most everyone here is willing to help and we LOVE swamp stories especially with pictures!

We're here to help... Start reading around the forum some (I think you're doing that right now) and if you like the place....come on over to the Trouble Free Pool side!

*edit* I just noticed your avatar pic. lol hopefully the swamp thing is not hiding down in the deep end...

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have already decided to stop messing with Leslies and go the TFPC route. It didn't take much convincing either. Knowing that I can get all or almost all of the chemicals I need at Food Lion (when my wife goes grocery shopping) helped me make my decision!! I did update my signature before making that initial post but didn't realize that it was over 5 lines and had to adjust. Luckily the site has an AWESOME auto save feature and I didn't have to retype it all. (thanks for that).

I do have the ability to pump to waste. Can't freaking wait to do that!! I know that I need to raise my CYA levels but not exactly sure how. Is that something that I have to get at the pool store? I plan on going to Lowes and Food Lion soon to see if they sell any pool stuff and also to get some Borax and Bleach.

The testing kit that I have now tests for CYA but uses 7ml of the reagent every time I test it. Does the FAS-DPD kit mentioned above use as much reagent? Is that stuff expensive? Also what can I do in the mean time while I am waiting to get some more money for the FAS-DPD kit. I just bought this kit and would hate to buy a completely new kit just for the higher FC levels. Is there one out there that only does that reading and is less expensive than an entire kit?

I guess for today I will just be scooping out gunk. Maybe later going to the store for chemicals. How important is it for me to raise my Ph up past 7.5ish before I SLAM? It is at 7.2 now. Also if I get the CYA to add in, what is the recommended level of CYA that I need for SLAMing? Since I have 0 at the moment I need to know what to bring it up to...

Thanks again for the advice!!! I have been reading through the forum for a few days now and already understand MUCH more than when I started!

- - - Updated - - -

Man I hate it when I speak first and read later. Either way looking on the TFTestkits website I did find the FAS-DPD chlorine test kit that is only that. Would I need anything else in the full kit that I don't already have?

Also it says in Pool School that I can't test for CYA levels until after a week of adding it. Does that mean I have to wait a week before SLAMing?

Ok before I post tens of updates I need to ask one big NOOB question.

I AM going to SLAM. With my current levels could someone outline for me what exactly I need to do to begin that process?
From my understanding:
Clean out the debris.
Add CYA (wait a week before starting SLAM?).
Use calculator to determine FC level for CYA level to maintain shock level.
Keep SLAMing until I pass the three tests.
Use BBB from there on out?

Sorry I am 30 yrs old and NEVER had a pool or a friend with a pool my whole life. Didn't do too hot in High School chemistry either.

My daughter wants a pool party by June 6th. Is it possible?

I think you probably have the kit that leslie's sells that comes with everything BUT the FAS DPD test. The FAS-DPD is just another type of test for chlorine. *BUT* it's the one you'll absolutely need to follow the SLAM process. You can buy just what you need for that from TFTestkits.net. If you click on the link for "individual tests" you'll see the FAS/DPD Chlorine & CCs test. $26 + shipping. Heck, how about a direct link? http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.html

If you look in the refills section you can also get a refill on the CYA testing reagent.

As you're reading here you'll see a lot of people suggesting the TF-100 test kit over the Taylor kits. The main reason for that is it comes with more of the reagents so you use the most of so you don't have to order refills right away. (They're still Taylor brand reagents, just a better balance of the quantities.)

But you already have a kit which is most likely the K2005 which has everything except for coming with the "wrong" chlorine test. I think you're ok with just ordering the FAS/DPD add on I linked to.

BTW, it's about impossible to find the FAS/DPD locally. I tried. There's a small place called Alameda Pools at the corner of Dam Neck and Holland that was able to get me the refills so you could try them but you have to make sure you're getting the exactly right "pieces" as they won't have it as a "kit" so it's probably easier to just order from tftestkits.

I'd hold off on the Borax. You may not even need it. It's bleach you're going to need to stock up on! You're going to need a lot of bleach. lol

Walmart has Great Value brand for 2.98. A few of our Targets just raised their store brand to $3.29 (Punks, that's what I was buying all last year but not anymore.)
I just discovered that Farm Fresh raised theirs over $3 also.

7.2 is exactly where you would want to be when you start a SLAM.

BTW, wal-mart has CYA. It's clorox brand. Our wal-marts just changed all their pool stuff over to clorox brand this year. Used to be aqua chem. Lowes sells the same bottle for a lot more. Wal-Mart was definitely cheaper. Here's what it looks like http://www.walmart.com/ip/Clorox-Pool-and-Spa-Chlorine-Stabilizer-4-lbs/41466055

Definitely keep getting any and all gunk you can get out of the pool. Blind raking is where a lot of us have started. Just keep dredging it up. The more you get out the smoother the SLAM will go. Less solid stuff means less for the chlorine to work on.

Others will come in and probably give more specific info. I'm not comfortable with giving specific dosing instructions but I can be a great cheerleader. LOL

Also it says in Pool School that I can't test for CYA levels until after a week of adding it. Does that mean I have to wait a week before SLAMing?

Ok before I post tens of updates I need to ask one big NOOB question.

I AM going to SLAM. With my current levels could someone outline for me what exactly I need to do to begin that process?
From my understanding:
Clean out the debris.
Add CYA (wait a week before starting SLAM?).
Use calculator to determine FC level for CYA level to maintain shock level.
Keep SLAMing until I pass the three tests.
Use BBB from there on out?

Sorry I am 30 yrs old and NEVER had a pool or a friend with a pool my whole life. Didn't do too hot in High School chemistry either.

My daughter wants a pool party by June 6th. Is it possible?

HAH we're both going to go crazy with updates.

You wait 1 week for CYA before you test again because it takes time to actually show up on the test but you don't have to wait for the SLAM.

Buuut... you need the FAS/DPD test for the SLAM.

What you would be doing is adjusting your ph to 7.2 (It's already there so that's good)
Then you'd be calculating and adding enough CYA to get to 30.
Then...you'd assume the 30 (because it won't actually be testable for about a week) and you'd add the amount of bleach that the calculator says you need to get to whatever the shock level is for a CYA of 30.

Here's the deal, the Chlorine/CYA chart http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock will show you that your FC for 30 CYA needs to be at 12, and you can't test that with your current chlorine test. Therein lies the problem.

FAS/DPD test....gotta have. Good news, tftestkits ships from North Carolina and their stuff usually gets here pretty darn fast.

*oops* I hit post before I meant to..

I think June 6th is doable...that gives you a whole month.

Don't worry about the chemistry aspect. It can be overwhelming at first but after you hang around and read and ask questions you're not going to believe how simple it really is. At first it's a ton of things to learn so it seems complicated but as you start retaining what you've read, you'll be building on it and one day you'll be sitting here wondering how it could have seemed so impossible when it's just so easy.

Darnit, where is everyone with all those helpful reading links? lol

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl <-----read this!

:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beans has covered things well!

Please don't get excited and try to start the SLAM before you are ready. Order the FAS-DPD add on kit and you are good to go. You are not the first one to,buy the Leslie's version of the K2005 kit. Leslie's usually tells folks it's all or more than they need.

Spend the time stocking up on bleach and more importantly clean as much gunk out of the pool as humanly possible. Chlorine will oxidize anything organic in the water and that includes the gunk on the bottom. Better you. Lean it out and save the time. The time it takes for a SLAM varies and I'm sorry to say yours will take a while to clean up the swamp.

Go play with your plumbing, learn how to,vacuum to waste and start sucking the junk out of the pool. That will really help make the SLAM go faster.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.lesliespool.com/taylor-technologies-k-2005-dpd-complete-chlorine-kit/k-2005.htm

Is this the kit you have? ;-)

I shouldn't just assume...cause...you know...
I would bet dollars to donuts he has the Leslie's version of that kit.

Since the OP is going to buy CYA, I'll just take a short post to explain that the best way for you to add CYA to your pool is to fill up an old gym sock with the powder. Tie it off and then hang it on a stick or something to float in front of one of the pool's returns, so the water helps melt the stuff. Squeeze the sock every once in a while too to speed things along. I like to tie my filled socks to a small piece of pool noodle and let it just float. The sock can remain in place during the SLAM. (Some people just pour the CYA into the skimmer where it is pumped into the filter and sits until dissolved, but that risks clogging the lines and you would not be able to backwash if needed during your SLAM)

Yes that is the kit I have. Well it has all the same stuff except for that wheel thing. Mine was only 50. My hose for waste doesn't reach the street. Headed to Lowes and I'll check out their CYA. I know they may be expensive but I have a Lowes card so sometimes it's a necessary evil.
Beens it's good to have someone local to help with getting stuff locally. Pretty awesome there.

I will try my darnedest to be patient. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that is the kit I have. Well it has all the same stuff except for that wheel thing. Mine was only 50. My hose for waste doesn't reach the street. Headed to Lowes and I'll check out their CYA. I know they may be expensive but I have a Lowes card so sometimes it's a necessary evil.
Beens it's good to have someone local to help with getting stuff locally. Pretty awesome there.

Hold off on adding the CYA until you have done all the vacuuming to waste you are going to do and are ready for the SLAM. If you put it in now you will just pump it out while you vacuum. My Lowes does have CYA, but it is alittle more expensive than WalMart but way less expensive than Leslie's.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh speaking of filters. I will be running mine during the SLAM? It is completely cleaned out at the moment with no DE. I will have to buy some of that as well. Probably be doing tons of back washing huh?

if you have a recirculating setting you can use that for a while rather than gunk up your filters all at once. If you do have that setting use it anytime you are away from home and can't monitor,the filter/pressure while you are gone.

I'll say welcome and then defer to the more experienced guys here but I have to wonder about that CYA? Wouldn't the shock have added some CYA? Maybe it's not showing up yet. It is really time to be adding more? I get confused about this one myself so just thought I'd bring up the point.
Michael

Walmart 12.77 vs Lowes 17.98 (Lowes here switched to clorox brand too although sometimes Chesapeake stores have different stuff so who knows, you might find another brand...) Funny, my mom buys a lot of stuff in lowes for the same exact reason! lol

I'll say welcome and then defer to the more experienced guys here but I have to wonder about that CYA? Wouldn't the shock have added some CYA? Maybe it's not showing up yet. It is really time to be adding more? I get confused about this one myself so just thought I'd bring up the point.
Michael

You've got a point there! I just did a really quick googling and I *think* the shock may have been cal-hypo...therefore it would have added calcium and not CYA. I guess that could explain it.

awtrizzle, do you still have the bags of shock you used? If so.....what are the active ingredients? It's not the end of the world if you don't but it always helps to know exactly what has gone in! :) Was the 73% Calcium Hypochlorite? Or something else?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.