Nasty Black Pool Inherited from Home Purchase

The bleach said 8.25% and it's from Feb. Seems to be the norm that I'm finding. Feb or Mar time frame. I guess it will at least be 6%. Lol
Also I did read the sock method. I have a sock and a pool noodle I am going to tie it to near the return. Thanks for that anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah hah. Good stuff.

I'm about the bash the living daylights out of my computer. I was looking for a quick picture of the sock method to post for you and my computer just wants the day off I guess. I just typed the last 2 sentences without even being able to read them since the computer apparently can't keep up with my typing today.

I'm gonna post it even though you already know, just to prove a point to my computer that it can't hold me down! http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/75814-Cyanuric-Acid-when-skimmer-not-working

There's a pic on the second post of that thread. Only posting for the pic, not for the content of the thread itself. :)

I think it might be time for me to step away from the computer. (although I probably won't) It's almost time to get ready for work and I have to go test the pool and add my daily bleach. At least it's not 50 degrees and raining today!

The bleach said 8.25% and it's from Feb. Seems to be the norm that I'm finding. Feb or Mar time frame. I guess it will at least be 6%. Lol
Also I did read the sock method. I have a sock and a pool noodle I am going to tie it to near the return. Thanks for that anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
8.25% really doesn't degrade that fast, so unless it was stored outside int eh sun it's probably still full strength.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for that but I'm mainly talking about keeping it on recirc. Not even using the filter.

I'm on the Pad.
Anytime you will be leaving the pool recirc is a good idea so that the filters don't clog while you are gone. But, when you are around you will need to filter to get all that dead algae out of the pool.

Ok today's updates. Not much in the way of SLAMing other than I bought some bleach. I may be able to work something out with the guy at Dollar General where he can order me what I need separate from what he orders normally. Like my own private pool store. Haha.
Im still waiting on the TF-100 but hopes are up it will be here very soon.
I took the time today to rake some more and scrubbed the coping then put a coat of primer on. Will be painting tomorrow and depending on the time and status of said test kit I may begin the SLAM.
I still have to fill the pool back up and haven't 100% figured out how I want to do that. Either the front spigot with a long hose or a fitting from the inside faucet. Either way....
I will have to get some DE for the SLAM. I have to eventually buy it anyways so whatever. Money money money!!! :(
I ran the pump on recirc today (which I've been doing everyday) and put my CYA sock in. It ran for probably 4hrs while I was working on the coping and when I was done I checked the baskets, disgusting to say the least!!!
a94b212e1194bc4b9875ae3bc1f59018.jpg

2389a1af5d97482fc99ed4f09989ab72.jpg

I took another picture of the pool just because. Not much difference yet.
6f588a973e5d92eba5a3b05a07716e2f.jpg

I'm Mobile

I don't think I was ready to process all that information
No worries, AWT. Sometimes I over-explain because I'm generally not available to contribute more than once a day and don't like to leave questions ;)

Short strokes of my points were as follows, and just ask if you need clarification or want to know why whenever you need more info:

A) keep your FC at or above slam level at all times during slam or you will go backwards
B) once you post your test results, we might find you can still use some of that cal hypo to help clear and reduce how much liquid bleach you need
C) you will need to filter, not just recirculate, to clear the water (but I see you got this above)
D) don't mess with well water if you have any other source (you also resolved this above)
And
E) the lady who owned the pool before you might have used well water to fill it. You might have metals in the water. If you do, add Metal Magic to help "sequester" it so it doesn't stain. Or just wait and see what happens when you slam and we can assist you from there.

Much better. I don't have the ability to test for metals so I will probably go the wait route and see what happens and post about it. :) everything else I understood. Thanks for the explanation.

If I could use that cal-hypo I would be happy. Just so I didn't waste the money. If not I have a friend that will probably take it. Unless I can get him to convert.

I'm Mobile

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New To Site, Need some Guidance Please

This has me a little worried. When I started out my FC was zero as well, along with my CYA. I would hate to have the same ammonia problem. I planned on starting my first SLAM today.
Is there anyway for me to find out about the ammonia before I use up all that bleach? I have been adding 4lbs of CYA with the sock method over the last few days.

16k gallon IG, Hayward Super Pump, Polaris Booster Pump, Hayward DE filter, 2 skimmers and a main drain?, 4 returns that I can see, Vinyl liner w/aluminum coping

Where does my water level need to be at? At the moment it is in the middle of the skimmer. Is that the correct level? Or should it cover the skimmer?

16k gallon IG, Hayward Super Pump, Polaris Booster Pump, Hayward DE filter, 2 skimmers and a main drain?, 4 returns that I can see, Vinyl liner w/aluminum coping

Where does my water level need to be at? At the moment it is in the middle of the skimmer. Is that the correct level? Or should it cover the skimmer?

Middle of the skimmer is correct. You need room between the top of the water and the top of the skimmer for debris to be able to float in.

Re: New To Site, Need some Guidance Please

Is there anyway for me to find out about the ammonia before I use up all that bleach?
Yes, you can get an ammonia test kit from a fish tank place. However, it is very unlikely that you will have an ammonia problem, and even if you do, the treatment is exactly the same either way.

Officially started my SLAM about an hour ago. Had the filter running but had to backwash in about 20mins. I don't have that much DE. going to buy some more and also some PVC pipe. That backwash hose ****** me off for the last time.
Start:
3d01ffc920740ccac22aa421618c9dcc.jpg

8475ee1235d2a304ff8262a4c1058f51.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.