Nasty Black Pool Inherited from Home Purchase

I'm at lowes and will post that answer when I get home. It is called Super Shock from Leslie's and it was $100. Not real sure.

Also they have CYA at Lowes for 17.98.
2b44a44cea041fe9df78bcf97b0ff034.jpg

I wonder if they sell big things of bleach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on staying away from lowe's bleach. Their stuff sits around for a long time. Bleach will lose strength over time even more so if it's stored in the heat.

I bought some 12.5% liquid chlorine from Ollies yesterday. Creepy place but they have it for a really good price. It's 2.99 for a gallon and it seems to be fresh (If I read it correctly the stuff they had was made at the end of March) It's called Austin's Pool Tech Liquid Shock.

I can't remember if there's one anywhere in Chesapeake. I know there's one in Norfolk (even creepier) and the one I went to on Laskin Rd. Both are a further drive than wal-mart for you sooooo you'd have to decide if the savings is worth it.

You'd be getting 128 oz of 12.5% for 2.99 vs 121oz of 8.25% for 2.98 at wal-mart. Honestly I usually just stick with walmart/target(until they raised their price)and kroger because they're really close (and not creepy) but I was driving by yesterday so I decided why not?

I have not read every post in this thread so if this has already been mentioned, I apologize. Leslie's could be useful to you. They sell 10%, 2.5 gallon chlorine for about $5. The deposit for the container is $5 but it's reusable so you only pay it once. If the store is close to you, after you get your pool under control, you might consider getting your chlorine from them.

When you reach the image quota, you will know. Many use Photobucket and then link the photos here,which does not inmost the quota.

I just want to say that the response to my post and all the advice has been MUCH appreciated. I don't feel so alone anymore. I just talked to a friend and he paid $500 this season to get his pool opened. I sent him the link to this website.

Pp
I have not read every post in this thread so if this has already been mentioned, I apologize. Leslie's could be useful to you. They sell 10%, 2.5 gallon chlorine for about $5. The deposit for the container is $5 but it's reusable so you only pay it once.
Leslie's in many states does not sell liquid chlorine. Florida is lucky in that it is one of those where it it readily available from many sources.

Funny story, the first time I went into my local pool store and asked where the liquid chlorine was I got a funny look and the clerk said "you must be from Florida", explaining that it was not sold in South Carolina.

That's really expensive for the bleach...I know you want to charge it so I guess you have to decide yourself but Great Value brand from walmart is going to be the exact same thing for 2.98. You're going to need a lot soooo the extra $ will add up...then again, the card thing...

Another quick googling has me thinking that bleach was made on the 335th day of 2014? December 1 2014? I might have rushed that google. Don't quote me on it. :p

Photobucket is great for posting pictures here. That's what a lot of people use. You won't be able to post many unless you either #1, become a supporter (That gives you extra storage for posting pictures) or #2 use something like photobucket.

We LOVE pictures! Especially pictures of yucky pools with creatures in them turning into beautiful sparkling pools and all the steps in between. :)

The Lowes brand was about .50 cents cheaper but the date was 15090. Could be an expiration or the born on date. Wasn't sure. Didn't buy it. May have to wait until payday or do a mixture of Lowes and Walmart for when the money runs out.

That's really expensive for the bleach...I know you want to charge it so I guess you have to decide yourself but Great Value brand from walmart is going to be the exact same thing for 2.98. You're going to need a lot soooo the extra $ will add up...then again, the card thing...

Another quick googling has me thinking that bleach was made on the 335th day of 2014? December 1 2014? I might have rushed that google. Don't quote me on it. :p

Photobucket is great for posting pictures here. That's what a lot of people use. You won't be able to post many unless you either #1, become a supporter (That gives you extra storage for posting pictures) or #2 use something like photobucket.

We LOVE pictures! Especially pictures of yucky pools with creatures in them turning into beautiful sparkling pools and all the steps in between. :)
correct on all three points:

That's some expensive bleach
That's some old bleach
Supporting TFP gets you extra storage for attachments

- - - Updated - - -

The Lowes brand was about .50 cents cheaper but the date was 15090. Could be an expiration or the born on date. Wasn't sure. Didn't buy it. May have to wait until payday or do a mixture of Lowes and Walmart for when the money runs out.

15090 is the born on date using the Julian calendar. 90th day of 2015

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Too bad you found leslie's first and they sucked the funds out of you with their stuff! Very common though...

Just buy a few bottles here and there so you can start stocking up. Keep it somewhere cool (That's anywhere with our ridiculous weather this weekend! But normally...inside somewhere)

Bleach is probably going to be the biggest expense. When a pool is a swamp it takes a lot. It's going to work though. Guaranteed. If you follow the SLAM process as outlined in the article it *WILL* work. AND....once you're done it will *not* be crazy expensive for upkeep so try not to get too worried about buying stock in the bleach companies...

Just to give you a small idea.. for my pool, which of course is smaller than yours, (6700 gallons) I use about 2-3 1/2 cups of bleach a day in the summer...and that's pretty much it. A few weeks ago I bought CYA for the first time because mine was kind of low.

The clean up is the hard part...maintenance is a breeze.

*edit*

Did you order the FAS/DPD testing stuff yet?

I bought a new hose and am going to suck out some muck. I'll be back later on. Also I'm on the photobucket now so I can post WAAAY more pictures.

Well at 2-4 a gallon of bleach it's gotta be cheaper than $100 (25lbs) of **** "shock" from Leslie's. At least relatively when compared to the same amounts.

I'm Mobile

PpLeslie's in many states does not sell liquid chlorine. Florida is lucky in that it is one of those where it it readily available from many sources.

Funny story, the first time I went into my local pool store and asked where the liquid chlorine was I got a funny look and the clerk said "you must be from Florida", explaining that it was not sold in South Carolina.

"You must be from Florida". That will keep me laughing for a while. I had no idea that Florida was so far ahead of other states in our us of chlorine. Well, to Walmart you go!

awtrizzle,
You're getting good advice. Follow as best you can. Re-read Pool School 5 or 6 times as you go along. For year's I followed store's advice, only to learn it was all wrong. Pool would look clean for an hour, then would turn green and filled with what's best described as pond scum! Was very frustrated until I found this site. Once I understood the SLAM process, we spent an entire weekend attacking the pool. When it's stated you will need A LOT of liquid chlorine, you will. You'll be surprised how much you'll probably need. Keep with it, though, and you'll easily have that pool party in early June. You will need to devote a day or two to testing, shocking, waiting, re-testing, shocking, running to buy more chlorine, etc. Once there, it's a breeze! The proper test kit is essential and critical to the process. Don't need to be a chemistry major, but do need to measure your FC and CC every few hours as your attacking the problem.
Based on your comments, I'll leave to others more knowledgeable regarding running your filtration without DE. I wonder if you're better off with, if not required to have, DE in your system.
Bill

You are so in the right place to get a clean, clear pool! WELCOME!

Every time you go to the store buy 2 jugs of bleach. Stock it up in a cool, dark place.

You CAN have the the pool party by June IF you have enough bleach and time for the SLAM.

You can never post too many pictures for this group! We LOVE pics!

Please go take a pic of your steps. Once you start the SLAM take a pic from the same spot every day. That will help you see the progress and "feed" our need for pics! LOL

HUGS! You can do it and we will help!

Kim

FYI the vacuum on waste didn't work. The baskets were so clogged up so quickly that it wasn't even worth it/ didn't work. Scooping out tons of stuff with the rake. I did this already but was lazy about it apparently. I'm so mad at the previous home owner right now!!!
899f2a996b6c383a406d161187517fa4.jpg

I'm Mobile

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.