Nicaragua situation

MrNica

Dec 21, 2014
Rivas, Nicaragua
The availability of some products is weird here sometimes. Or I should say the products some businesses choose to inventory is weird here.

My pool completed about March 20th. This site has been fantastic for the design and build.

Our water is absolutely dead clear perfect thanks to this method. (Non pool store method).

One challnge is the availability of liquid bleach/chlorine here. All of it that I can find in any kind of store is 3%. This becomes very cumbersome and costly.

We have a pool store and they sell aqua-chlor which i bought a large tote of and have been using that but closely watching the CYA level.

I have twice run it up to around 90 and replaced water to lower it to 40.

I built a permanent plumbed-in pump to waste line which send the water to the street so changing water is very easy and a non issue. Neighbors appreciate it actually because this is dry season and it keeps dust down. Water is not expensive.

Last night's test (with strip, I test weekly with the kit for all parameters to verify accuracy of strips, PH amd CYA tested with the kit every night -chlorine levels seem to be accurate with the strips):

TH 250
TC 5
FC 5
PH 7.4
TA 80
CYA 60

My question is this: Is this a viable way to operate the water management of my pool? What alternatives to dumping water to control the CYA are there? Ideas?

Our water is very inexpensive here.

(The privacy wall and a few other small things are still under construction)

pool-6868_zps1lz84h2k.jpg

pool-6867_zpszbydmglk.jpg

pool-6846_zpsovlz1biv.jpg

Not really too many options with that situation. However, if you could acquire a test kit that showed your Calcium level, we might be able to suggest Cal-Hypo as an alternative should they sell that down there.

Replacing water can be a viable solution, you just need to keep in mind that replacing water will affect all of your levels. At a minimum you will likely need to add calcium regularly, and it is possible that some of your other levels will also require frequent attention.

That is what we call trichlor, raises the FC and CYA levels, and lowers PH.

Granular trichlor isn't normally the best thing to use because it dissolves fairly slowly. You want to make sure that undissolved pile of powder don't sit on the pool surface.

T he logo on that container is the same one I found on a website indicating they produced 6-7% liquid. Do a little more Internet searching as I was "limited" to my English only searching.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.