Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Nicaragua situation

1. Back To Top    #1

Nicaragua situation

The availability of some products is weird here sometimes. Or I should say the products some businesses choose to inventory is weird here.

My pool completed about March 20th. This site has been fantastic for the design and build.

Our water is absolutely dead clear perfect thanks to this method. (Non pool store method).

One challnge is the availability of liquid bleach/chlorine here. All of it that I can find in any kind of store is 3%. This becomes very cumbersome and costly.

We have a pool store and they sell aqua-chlor which i bought a large tote of and have been using that but closely watching the CYA level.

I have twice run it up to around 90 and replaced water to lower it to 40.

I built a permanent plumbed-in pump to waste line which send the water to the street so changing water is very easy and a non issue. Neighbors appreciate it actually because this is dry season and it keeps dust down. Water is not expensive.

Last night's test (with strip, I test weekly with the kit for all parameters to verify accuracy of strips, PH amd CYA tested with the kit every night -chlorine levels seem to be accurate with the strips):

TH 250
    TC 5
    FC 5
    PH 7.4
    TA 80
    CYA 60

My question is this: Is this a viable way to operate the water management of my pool? What alternatives to dumping water to control the CYA are there? Ideas?

Our water is very inexpensive here.

(The privacy wall and a few other small things are still under construction)

Warren in Rivas, Nicaragua
    10,000 Gallon all mosaic tile pool- Whisperflo 2 speed 1.5hp - Pentair CC plus 420sf - Polaris 280 - 2 Intellibrite LED - 2 Intellibrite LED bubbler - 4 Jandy deck jet - 1 sheer descent - no automation - autofill - K-2006 test kit - pool deck 540sf - porch attached to pool deck -740 sf - My build thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Nicaragua situation

Not really too many options with that situation. However, if you could acquire a test kit that showed your Calcium level, we might be able to suggest Cal-Hypo as an alternative should they sell that down there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Replacing water can be a viable solution, you just need to keep in mind that replacing water will affect all of your levels. At a minimum you will likely need to add calcium regularly, and it is possible that some of your other levels will also require frequent attention.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the Aqua-Chlor a liquid or solid? All Google references I found in Central America relate to liquid products that are 6-7% chlorine which would have no CYA
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Granular. It is high concentration. I believe 90% and using that number in the pool calculator seems to be correct. The label says stabilized and my CYA rises weekly. The data sheet is fuzzy on CYA.

Datasheet here: http://aquachlorpool.com/download/265/
    Product here: http://aquachlorpool.com/quimicos/sa...hlor-duraclor/

10,000 Gallon all mosaic tile pool- Whisperflo 2 speed 1.5hp - Pentair CC plus 420sf - Polaris 280 - 2 Intellibrite LED - 2 Intellibrite LED bubbler - 4 Jandy deck jet - 1 sheer descent - no automation - autofill - K-2006 test kit - pool deck 540sf - porch attached to pool deck -740 sf - My build thread

6. Back To Top    #6

That is what we call trichlor, raises the FC and CYA levels, and lowers PH.

Granular trichlor isn't normally the best thing to use because it dissolves fairly slowly. You want to make sure that undissolved pile of powder don't sit on the pool surface.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

That is the only product readily available.

8. Back To Top    #8

That's too bad. You'll have to keep refilling, or find another source like Cal-Hypo. As Tim suggested though, perhaps you can find some of the 6-7% Chlorine Bleach.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

T he logo on that container is the same one I found on a website indicating they produced 6-7% liquid. Do a little more Internet searching as I was "limited" to my English only searching.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

If you're having a hard time sourcing chlorine how about a salt water chlorine generator? If you can get one plus some salt and install it you won't have to go out and find chlorine again.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

If you get a SWG you could also significantly over-size it for your pool (and run it at only 10-20%). That way if you need to increase the chlorine level suddenly, you can do so.
    32,000 litre in-ground painted concrete pool
    Zodiac Tri-Mid +ph SWG
    Solar pool heating
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    In Sydney, Australia