Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ? about floating solar powered salt water chlorine generator

1. Back To Top    #1

? about floating solar powered salt water chlorine generator

I was wondering if anyone here knows about these and how well they work and how long the cells last?
    11000 gal L shaped gunite pool with and aggragate plaster
    Pentair cartridge filtration with 1.5 hp pump
    only have 3 returns and one dedicated vacuum line
    manifold to pump is three valve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ? about floating solar powered salt water chlorine generator

Don't think they'll create enough chlorine to be effective. Do they tell the out put? How many watts are the solar cells?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

A couple of different brands of floating solar SWGs have gotten fairly negative reviews in the past. They tend to be way underpowered and are often lacking the self cleaning feature as well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

About ten minutes ago I was looking at Home Depot to find a tree to replace one downed in a storm Saturday and came across a solar powered floating pool filter. It claims a life of thirty years and states you can just turn off your existing pool equipment and help save the planet. And it can be yours for only $799.00. Yeah, right. Somehow I don't think this will get the job done just like the solar powered SWCG.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Natural-Cur...&showPLP=false
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA View Post
    and came across a solar powered floating pool filter
    It is 3'x3'x1' and weighs 38 lbs dry. That is a significant obstruction when swimming and not so easy to get in and out of the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Don't think they'll create enough chlorine to be effective. Do they tell the out put? How many watts are the solar cells?
    It says it's rated for 15k gallons. I just switched my filter system from cartridge to sand and had to replace a frozen pump. I was interested in a swcg but couldn't afford it after replacing the filter system. I was thinking maybe this floater would help with the chlorine. Maybe it's too good to be true. Have only found 2 reviews and while it says it will last for 8 years...I don't think they've been out long enough to verify.
    11000 gal L shaped gunite pool with and aggragate plaster
    Pentair cartridge filtration with 1.5 hp pump
    only have 3 returns and one dedicated vacuum line
    manifold to pump is three valve

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd pass. For that price you could get a Compupool or other brand full sized unit.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida