Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finished my first SLAM... now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

Finished my first SLAM... now what?

Here are my current results:
    FC 10
    CC .5
    CH 50
    CYA 70
    TA 90
    PH 7.5

With the amount of CYA I have, the pool calculator tells me my target FC is 5-10. My TF-100 test kits contains a Taylor ph/Chlorine tester that only shows Chlorine up to levels of 5.

What should my daily chlorine level be and should I be using a different kit than the Taylor included in my TF-100?
    Pete
    Vinyl IG, 32,000 gallons, CircuPool 60,000g SWG, Hayward heater, Pentair TA-60/60D Sand Filter , Hayward Super Pump, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Finished my first SLAM... now what?

You should use the fas/dpd test included in the TF100, more here, http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ns-on-One-Page

Maintain FC according to your CYA level based on this Chlorine CYA Chart. Which is min 5, target 8.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The final step in a SLAM should be the OCLT to actually prove that you have no residual organics left in your pool.

1. Your pool water is sparkling
    2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
    3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Have you done that?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

If you're really and truly done - passed all three tests, your next step is

Use both chlorine tests. The FAS-DPD test will give you an accurate reading and tell you how much bleach your pool consumes daily. The OTO yellow FC test will show some shade of blinding yellow or perhaps school bus yellow. Learn what your target and your minimum should look like. Once the swim season begins in earnest, you'll be able to glance at the color matching to ensure nothing's gone amiss and just dump in the usual amount, and you'll have the FAS-DPD test as a backup a couple times a week. Pools don't just go cloudy and green overnight. You'll still be able to spot it coming and nip it in the bud.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I passed all the tests.. The question was testing the lack of chlorine measurement capacity from the OTO test kit. Was hoping to not have to continue the FAS-DPD tests on a daily basis. It sounds like I need to do both tests until I get a better understanding of the color scale beyond the max reading of 5.. Do simple kits exist that read higher chlorine levels?
    Pete
    Vinyl IG, 32,000 gallons, CircuPool 60,000g SWG, Hayward heater, Pentair TA-60/60D Sand Filter , Hayward Super Pump, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

There is no real way to reliably distinguish FC levels from 3 to 10 with the OTO chlorine test. None of the other tests are especially good in the 5 to 10 range, though DPD can at least reliably tell 6 from 10.

Some people simply use the FAS-DPD test every day. Others use OTO six days a week and FAS-DPD on the seventh day. Once you get into a good routine, where FC is coming out at or above the minimum consistently, you can figure out how much chlorine you are adding daily, and simply repeat that amount for six days, and then on the seventh day use the FAS-DPD chlorine test to double check that your amount to add is still good, or how to adjust it. On the six days when you don't use FAS-DPD, you use the OTO test just to make sure that nothing completely unexpected has happened.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School