Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light niche conduit

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Light niche conduit

The conduit on the back of the light niche had been sealed up (I guess from a old leak) . Should I chip out some of the old epoxy and put some new in there, since the pool is empty for remodel. Thank you
    21,500 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' Diamond Brite Cool Blue pool. Sta-Rite SuperMax 1.5 HP 2 speed pump running on low for 8 hrs a day, Sta-rite PCX125 cartridge filter, CircuPool RJ-45 SWG, 500 watt incandesce light, 1 skimmer, 4 returns, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot cleaner, Solar-Breeze NX & TF-100 test kit, Taylor K1766 kit with speed stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Light niche conduit

Typically, the conduit is not sealed and is flooded with pool water all the time. What IS sealed with epoxy is the bonding wire at the back of the niche.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I would leave it alone, unless you need to replace the light fixture.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Typically, the conduit is not sealed and is flooded with pool water all the time. What IS sealed with epoxy is the bonding wire at the back of the niche.
    It not the bonding wire. Thoughts..
    IMG_2814.jpg
    21,500 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' Diamond Brite Cool Blue pool. Sta-Rite SuperMax 1.5 HP 2 speed pump running on low for 8 hrs a day, Sta-rite PCX125 cartridge filter, CircuPool RJ-45 SWG, 500 watt incandesce light, 1 skimmer, 4 returns, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot cleaner, Solar-Breeze NX & TF-100 test kit, Taylor K1766 kit with speed stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yikes!! Absolutely break it free now. If you do not you would not be able to change the fixture unless you drained the pool again.

Is that a bonding lug (unused) underneath the fixture cord?
    Dave S.

6. Back To Top    #6

That is almost certainly there for a reason. It is extremely likely that removing the epoxy will result in a leak. I would leave it alone unless you need to replace the fixture.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

JasonLion could be right but the lack of a bonding wire to that lug (if I'm seeing it right) is because they epoxied the wrong thing. The epoxy should have gone on the connection to the bonding wire......which appears to be non-existent.

There should be no epoxy on the niche/conduit connection.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

We have found many screwy things since the pool was drained Monday. I was losing about 1/2 inch a day. With the small gap in the epoxy around the wire, I was thinking that might be part of the lost and might be better to reseal it now than later. Should I put some around the lug also? Thank you for you help!

9. Back To Top    #9

Unless this is a low voltage light, there are supposed to be two wires coming out of the conduit: the main power wire you have now, and also a smaller wire that gets connected to that terminal on the light niche. The connection to the terminal is supposed to be epoxied, but with no wire present there is no point in epoxying the terminal.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks again!