Help, New Old Pool Outer Limits and Drought Rules

Benny9

Apr 22, 2015
San Diego , CA
Hi,

I'm new to this (Pool Care and Forum) but thank God I've found this forum. I took over my Dad's house in 2013 when he passed away. I put a Property Manager and Renters in the place and kept the Pool Guy my Dad had used for lord only knows how long. I replaced the Cartridge Filter before leaving and did not test the pool myself but let the Pool Guy continue in his ways. I just moved into the house back in December and fired the Pool Guy after reporting that I needed a new Filter six months after I replaced it. He, the prop manager, and myself have all used the Hockey pucks and needless to say my numbers are out of this world. If my sig works you will see all the bits about the pool and if not let me know, but this is a small pool and the closest I've been to pool care is maybe a fresh water aquarium years ago and swimming in public pools so I need help. People tell me I take direction well......we'll see, the better part of this mess is I live in San Diego (yeah) and we are under a severe drought (boo)......hopefully the guy from San Dimas can help on some of this. I have read a bit and bought/received a TF-100 test kit, was using strips until I found this site. The numbers are awesome if HIGH was good........

FC-5.5
CC-1
CH-1100
TA-160
CYA->300 (I thirds it and still couldn't hit the 100 mark)
PH-7.5
Br-1

San Diego water is metal heavy so I know I have metal issues also, can I fix this if I refill of the indoor faucet attached to the water softener?

I need options on what I can do, I know a drain and refill is absolutely necessary but under current Drought conditions the County would have a field day with me on that kind of water usage. I have stopped and removed all pucks and now using clorox from the jug....thus my FC and CC levels what they are. I lost all chlorine for a few days in January and when the Sun Angle showed up so did Green and Mustard algae, I have been able to get a fairly clear pool but the algae does still show up a little, just haven't had any blooms since reading stuff here.
I was running pump round the clock on a fresh filter and have had to switch it out once so far in about a 2 week period.....didn't slam just raised my FC levels up to 12ppm just to get somewhat clear water.

Thanks Ben

Ben, first of all I'm sorry you have these issues.....

We do not see your signature, so give it another try.

With algae and CYA in the stratosphere you are limited in your options. A SLAM is what you need, but the chlorine you would need would be very expensive.

Have you investigated Reverse Osmosis pool treatments in your area? Expensive and some water loss, but not to the extent of a complete drain and fill that you may need.

Thanks for the info, had no idea on mobile RO services, I'll call and check. In Virginia you can just order up Pool water delivery....not so much here.
Thanks Richard, I had read your post about watering your yard with pool water and was hoping on not learning that trick......my guess was you had collected more than enough rain barrels around the house. I could not remember your name on the post so I had to do the old 'that guy from San Dimas' routine....sorry if it sounded tacky.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.