Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm assuming there's no chance the CYA dropped like that

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm assuming there's no chance the CYA dropped like that

I just tested my CYA for the first time since last summer when I brought it down to about 40-50 ppm through draining and refilling. I used the Taylor kit to test and felt like I had good results. When I tested the same way today, it registered essentially 0ppm (solution was totally clear). Could the reagent have gone bad? My kit is no more than 2 years old, I think about a year. I'm assuming there's no chance the CYA dropped like that over the winter with minimal water topping off.
    15K gal, IG plaster, 3/4 HP pump, Pentair CCP320 320 sqft cartridge filter, Letro Legend cleaning robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm assuming there's no chance the CYA dropped like that

It is very plausible that CYA fell over the winter. That happens often enough. Certain kinds of soil bacteria can consume CYA when FC is zero.

The CYA reagent can go bad, but it takes a lot longer than 2 years.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, thanks. So the recommendation is to try raising to testable levels (20ppm?) and verify the test is working, then go from there to 30-40?
    15K gal, IG plaster, 3/4 HP pump, Pentair CCP320 320 sqft cartridge filter, Letro Legend cleaning robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kcbaltz View Post
    OK, thanks. So the recommendation is to try raising to testable levels (20ppm?) and verify the test is working, then go from there to 30-40?
    Sounds reasonable. You might still have something less than 20 in the water right now. It's better to work up than overshoot.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

If it's okay for me to add, JasonLion helped me with the same problem. I thought I too had 0 cya. I only added enough to get me to 20 thankfully. The next week I tested at 45. I think my water was too cold to test correctly. Also Jason said the test is subjective + or - 15-20.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

6. Back To Top    #6

Good input, thanks for adding.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I added about 20oz yesterday (15,000 gal pool) and today it's still not measuring above 20 ppm, but the test solution no longer looks clear. I'm going to hold off for a while since I've heard it can take up to a week for the CYA to be dissolved.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, that's right, wait a week. Patience is important here.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

It seems Cya loss over winter is more common than we used to think. It seems pretty common actually but I have only the references here, and anecdotal evidence to support the statement.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

If the CYA level measurement hasn't changed since Monday, is it OK to assume it's not going to even though it's been less than a week since I added? I'd like to add more as it's still shwoing as under 20ppm.

11. Back To Top    #11

I would not add more to my pool yet. The risk is that you overshoot your CYA target and have to do a partial drain of the pool to lower CYA. What is the hurry? There are about 10 people posting that you should wait a week after adding. Is there a reason why you don't want to wait and keep asking?
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

I probably do need to be more patient. My pool is in need of a SLAM and I figured that balancing the CYA was a prerequisite to doing that, so that's part of the urgency. That said, I'm trying to keep the pH and chlorine at normal levels in the mean time, so hopefully my algae problems don't get worse while the CYA rises.

EDIT: I'm glad you asked because my reply prompted me to re-read the SLAM prerequisites and I realized I've got it backwards. A lower CYA makes it easier to SLAM (less chlorine anyway). I had been figuring it would be harder to maintain the high level without stabilizer, but I forgot the stabilizer means you need a higher level anyway.

13. Back To Top    #13

For a SLAM you can "assume" the CYA level targeted is actually in the water. In your case I think you started at 0 and targeted 20, so assume 20 and start your SLAM.

Re-test CYA at the one week point and adjust your FC for the SLAM at the tested level.

Now, you don't have a location in your profile, so I'm shooting from the hip, but you do want 30-40 CYA for a SLAM in most locations to keep from loosing your FC during the day. If it were not for the UV of the spun consuming chlorine then zero CYA would be great for a SLAM.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm in Northern California, so sun is definitely an issue. With that in mind, should I wait until the CYA is a bit higher? I only targeted 20 initially because it was reading essentially zero and I wasn't sure I trusted the measurement and didn't want to overshoot.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by kcbaltz View Post
    I'm in Northern California, so sun is definitely an issue. With that in mind, should I wait until the CYA is a bit higher? I only targeted 20 initially because it was reading essentially zero and I wasn't sure I trusted the measurement and didn't want to overshoot.
    Don't delay! If the pool is greenish, kill it before it grows worse! You only want CYA to be in the 30-40 range while doing the SLAM. If you need to add a bit more, do it, but don't wait for it to dissolve before you start the bleach. You can raise it afterwards easy enough. But kill that algae. Once the water gets warm, it takes off.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Good, glad you reread that and didn't add more. I would add 10 ppm CYA in a sock, adjust ph to 7.2-7.4 and assume you have CYA of 30 until a test tells you otherwise next week. Start the slam. Check fhe Chlorine CYA Chart which says that shock level is 12 and get the FC up to 12 asap and keep it there as often as you can, up to every couple of hours, and at least twice per day.

Good luck! Keep us posted, keep a record of your daily and overnight chlorine usage to verify you are making progress.
    TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Just got started today. pH is around 7.8, FC at 4.5. I added 128oz of 10%.

FYI, the water is nice and clear, it's the yellow algae on the sides that concerns me. Some of it won't come off even with a wire brush.

18. Back To Top    #18

Alright, let's kill some algae!
    TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Very much so. My first 2 winters that happened to me. But last year my pool chemistry was a finely-honed machine before closing (not so the previous years). When I opened this year, I still had a little chlorine and the CYA was right where it was last year.

FWIW, I found that CYA at around 50-60, which is lower than the regular recommended here, works best for me. Classic "Your mileage may vary"
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

20. Back To Top    #20

OK, I just performed the OCLT and FC was at 11, so I only lost 1ppm, which I think means I'm done by the usual definitions (no CC, OCLT < 1.0ppm, water clear). However, I've still got yellow staining on the plaster. I had thought maybe it was mustard algae because it was more tenacious than usual, but the description in the pool school talks about mustard algae forming clumps on the surface and I haven't seen that. The closest I've see is brownish "dirt" loose on the floor of the pool that is easily brushed away. I'm thinking to keep the SLAM going one more day and try brushing down the plaster again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast