Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IC20 @ 1% 8 hours a day: way too much chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

IC20 @ 1% 8 hours a day: way too much chlorine

I have a 3500 gallon pool/spa (small) and an IC20 SWG. I run it at 1% only on spa mode which runs 8 hours a day and in a week the FC will go from near 0 to off the chart. Turning it off completely brings it back down over time. Is there something wrong with my IC20 or is there some way I can use a smaller tablet or something?

Thanks,
    Nate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IC20 @ 1% 8 hours a day: way too much chlorine

Welcome to TFP!

We don't recommend using a SWG larger than 3 times the size of your pool. Your is roughly six times larger, which is going to cause problems such as the one you describe.

I would start by cutting your run time down to two or three hours a day. Eight hours a day is way more than you are likely to need and is also contributing to your problem.

Longer term, you might also want to consider lowering the CYA level a little. That will help keep the FC level from getting too high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I cant remember exactly, but maybe someone will.. do you have the IC20 connected to any pentair automation? (suntouch, solartouch, easytouch) I remember reading some where that without pentair automation you can only adjust at 20% increments.. so even though you think its 1% its actually 20%...

Can someone confirm or deny this, I seem to have a case of CRS and google is not finding the info...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

cowboycasey, you are correct. But it doesn't really make any difference to natethelen in this situation. The only alternative that isn't very expensive is to lower the run time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I have an intellitouch system. I have dropped it down to running the spa for only 4 hours a day and may drop it even more if necessary. So the 20 in IC 20 is 1000's of gallons? Is there nothing smaller?

6. Back To Top    #6

There are slightly smaller units, such as the Pentair IC15, but nothing significantly smaller.