Chlorine

Apr 25, 2015
Evesham
Hi. I joined this forum to try and get some info on a plunge pool I use at a holiday home. It's 10 feet by 3 feet deep. Usually in the summer I arrive. Fill it. Add chlorine and run a pump then monitor level and 2 weeks later I drain it. No probs. however I want to set it up in June then I won't be there for 4 weeks. If I add lots of chlorine and cover it with a dark cover and leave the pump off will the water be clean when I get back ? Thanks. Rob

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well first, adding a LOT of chlorine with no regard to the CYA level could damage the pool and equipment.

Doubtful that it could go 4 weeks with no attention and not have some issues to deal with when you return.

As Jason says, enough bleach to ensure enough would remain in 4 weeks would bleach out the liner.

You could improve your odds by ensuring the pool is perfectly balanced and adding an algaecide and letting it mix before covering it up. Avoid anything with copper in it. The recommended one is Poly 60

oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride 60%

Ok thanks. Sounds like setting up on arrival is a safer option. I have found that the chlorine levels tend to be a bit on the high side when I test. Is this a major issue for use? Is it ok to rely on just chlorine if it's just set up for a few weeks or do I need to worry about ph and alkalinity?

So far I've had no issues and the water has remained clear

Thanks

You need to worry about the FC level in relation to the CYA level (which is 0 for a fresh fill). The pH, TA, and CH are all likely to be fine, but I would still check and maintain the pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.