Pool antifreeze

meber

Aug 11, 2008
central kansas
The pool store sells 5 star pool antifreeze for $5.00 a gal, the farm supply store sells RV antiffreeze for $3.oo a gal. Both are good to -50f. Will the RV antifreeze mess with my water balance next spring when I open? Should I not use the RV antifreeze?

meber said:
The pool store sells 5 star pool antifreeze for $5.00 a gal, the farm supply store sells RV antiffreeze for $3.oo a gal. Both are good to -50f. Will the RV antifreeze mess with my water balance next spring when I open? Should I not use the RV antifreeze?
I've seen two "flavours" of antifreeze up here in Canada anyways, one is alcohol-based (I just can't think of the exact name right now), the other one contains calcium chloride. The LPS sells the calcium chloride one and has a sample of the other one on the counter. The customer thinks he's getting more bang for his buck because the calcium-based one is noticibly heavier.

I've used the 'regular' alcohol-flavored version* (it does say RV on it) and had no problems with our winter weather sometimes approching -22F. I'm not sure of the effect of adding a calcium based antifreeze on the water balance.

--
* In the pool

I was at WalMart this morning and saw that the RV anit-freeze is now $4.59 a gal. I paid $3.69 at the same WalMart just 10 days ago. Also, Lowes has the RV anti-freeze for sale at $4.95 a gal.

I'm glad I got mine at $3.69. I got 22 gals of the stuff. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.