Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Pool antifreeze

Pool antifreeze

The pool store sells 5 star pool antifreeze for $5.00 a gal, the farm supply store sells RV antiffreeze for $3.oo a gal. Both are good to -50f. Will the RV antifreeze mess with my water balance next spring when I open? Should I not use the RV antifreeze?
    20k inground fiberglass
    sand filter
    k-2006 test kit

Re: Pool antifreeze

It's the same thing.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Senior Member In the Industry

thats a really good price. I think walmart costs more than that.
    Matthew
    Involved in the pool and spa industry
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by meber
    The pool store sells 5 star pool antifreeze for $5.00 a gal, the farm supply store sells RV antiffreeze for $3.oo a gal. Both are good to -50f. Will the RV antifreeze mess with my water balance next spring when I open? Should I not use the RV antifreeze?
    I've seen two "flavours" of antifreeze up here in Canada anyways, one is alcohol-based (I just can't think of the exact name right now), the other one contains calcium chloride. The LPS sells the calcium chloride one and has a sample of the other one on the counter. The customer thinks he's getting more bang for his buck because the calcium-based one is noticibly heavier.

I've used the 'regular' alcohol-flavored version* (it does say RV on it) and had no problems with our winter weather sometimes approching -22F. I'm not sure of the effect of adding a calcium based antifreeze on the water balance.

--
    * In the pool
    Galveston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by CaOCl2
    Quote Originally Posted by meber
    ....I've used the 'regular' alcohol-flavored version* (it does say RV on it) and had no problems with our winter weather sometimes approching -22F. I'm not sure of the effect of adding a calcium based antifreeze on the water balance.

--
    * In the pool
    HAHAHAHA
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

I was at WalMart this morning and saw that the RV anit-freeze is now $4.59 a gal. I paid $3.69 at the same WalMart just 10 days ago. Also, Lowes has the RV anti-freeze for sale at $4.95 a gal.

I'm glad I got mine at $3.69. I got 22 gals of the stuff.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump