Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need to replace liner, where to drain pool water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question need to replace liner, where to drain pool water?

Any words of wisdom? I have to drain about 10,000 gallons of water in order to evaluate/repair a rust hole and replace the liner. thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need to replace liner, where to drain pool water?

If you have a waste setting on your filter and city sewer service, you can get enough discharge hose to reach the clean-out on your sewer line and pump the pool water into that. Most cities have regulations against pumping pool water into the storm drains.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the reply. I am draining it on to the lawn. It just seems like so much water... I will do it over a few days.
    Letterman
    Above ground, steel wall, 15 x 25 oval 11,000 gallon's, cartridge filter, 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by letterman View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I am draining it on to the lawn. It just seems like so much water... I will do it over a few days.
    Once upon a time when we had enough rain forecast that I lowered the pool a few inches, I opened the cleanout plug by the kitchen sink drain and shoved the hose in there. I figured a couple thousand gallons would help move the various bits of crud left in the pipes by the dishwasher and the garbage disposal. Initially, I had to reduce the flow a bit so it would stop overflowing, but after a few hours I was able to restore full flow and let it rip. Something to keep in mind.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!