Chlorine won't come up...and other questions

Sep 11, 2014
Oviedo, FL
I'm having some balancing trouble...could use some help!

Did my tf-100 testing this morning:
pH- 7.5
Free chlorine -1.5ppm
Combined chloramines -0
Calcium -250ppm
Alkalinity- 80ppm
CYA - 30ppm

I'm low on my cya, which might explain why running the SWCG at 60% for the last week hasn't brought up my chlorine level. I've just upped it to 70%. It's a brand new pool with a hayward turbo cell T-cell-15. And being in central, fl, it's plenty sunny. So, I figure the chlorine is just burning off(?)

As such, I've just added less than a pound of stabilizer slowly into the skimmer (but this amount is a guess; pouring it out of a bag. What's a better way to measure this stuff out?!?). Pool math called for like 9lbs...which I think is too much to add at one go.

Is my problem the CYA, or am I missing something else? Any other input regarding my chemical levels?

Also, can you add different chemicals at the same time? Any reason to avoid doing this? e.g. Adding cya and sodium bicarb together?

Thanks ahead of time!!

You should jump start your FC level to where you want it to be with bleach and then allow the SWG to maintain it. And yes, your CYA should be 70 to 80 ppm. 5 lbs. should get you in range from 30 to 80.
Walmart CYA comes with a measuring cap you can use.

While sodium bicarbonate & CYA additions at the same time should not cause issues, it is better to get in the habit of adding chemicals separately, with 30 minutes of circulation between them. Some chemicals don't play well together, so it is just a good habit to be in.

When adding CYA rather than pouring in the skimmer we prefer to see the "sock" method. Pour your addition into an old sock and hang that in front of a return, or if you must place the scum in a skimmer. Many folks have backwash end CYA out of their pool because it was in their filter dissolving. You can see the sock and even give it a squeeze every so often to help it dissolve. While talking about CYA, add in two or three smaller batches rather than all at once. Add, wait a week then test, and repeat until you get to your desired level. You don't want to end up,with too much CYA....

Appreciate the input. Sorry slow to get back.

My chlorine has been declining for a few weeks; and we've been in the pool pretty much daily. So, I decided to SLAM the pool. Two pounds granular shock. Prior to this, I also cleaned the salt cell. Pool opened in mid-February; seems a little short of a duration to have to clean the cell, but did it anyway.

I've read that the chlorine levels will drift back down - is the burn off due to the sun?

I'll post chem levels later. I am new at this, any other recommendations?

I am new at this, any other recommendations?
I know you are probably still trying to get the CYA to your target, but remember granular shock adds CYA. Get your FC is up around 10 using bleach/liquid chlorine around dusk and conduct an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. This will show if the sun is getting your chlorine or if something is growing in the water.

thanks Tim. Good suggestion, i'll see if I can give that a go.

Here are my test numbers from just now:
pH = 7.8
FC = 10.5
CC = 0
hardness = 275
Alkalinity = 100
CYA = 40.

I'm planning on cleaning the filter and adding CYA. Does that sound about right?

I'll note too - that while I inspected the salt cell there was no noticeable debris or buildup. I cleaned the unit since I had it open...but probably unnecessary

I would hold off on any more CYA additions for a few more days. With it taking up to a week to register on the test the CYA you added a couple of days ago may not be showing up yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. thanks Tim. amazingly fast response!

Should I lower pH at all at this point?

Admitting I haven't bothered to google this yet...but when are we safe to swim again?
I remember as a kid pool that would burn your eyes and such...I know I'm nowhere near THAT heavy on chlorine, but I also dont want to overexpose my kids.

So, my plan is:
1. Brush and clean the filter.
2. set up and complete the OCLT
3. retest tomorrow.
4. start raising CYA.

Burning eyes is usually due to not enough chlorine or the pH being out of whack.

It is safe to swim if the water is clear and your FC is between the minimum and the shock level for you CYA ... so it is safe now.

The pH can read falsely high when the FC > 10ppm, so I would let that drift down a bit before adjusting the pH.

Hey -

Brushing last night churned up a lot of material, which was easy to see with it dark and the pool light on. I have a paver deck, so I figure some of it was the sand getting kicked up. As such, rather than cleaning out the cartridge filter last night, I thought it best to leave the pump running to collect the particles. I'll clean the filter this evening.

Ran the OCLT.
9pm: FC = 10 CC = 0
5:30am: FC = 9 CC = 0
Two less drops of reagent 871 this morning, but I may have been a drop too strong last night.

I'm going to rerun the OCLT this evening again. I did turn on my SWCG this morning.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Re: About how much chlorine does a SWCG generate?

Thanks Jason! Good idea. I'm not familiar with the diagnostics button - i'll check that out tonight - and will post what I can!

I have completed the OCLT the other day...I posted that to a different thread topic several days ago...where my FC was stable, and had 0 CC.

The next night I ran a modified OCLT - where I ran with the SWG turned on - to see how much chlorine I could pump into the pool. Overnight, I only gained .5ppm. When, with the help of Mark (MAS985), the math indicated that it should've gone up about 1.8ppm.

Re: Slamming pool

2. FC maintained above the shock level of 16ppm (if we assume CYA is around 40). At the beginning you will be testing and adding chlorine every few hours (use PoolMath to figure out how much bleach you should be adding each time)

Carl -

How long is one supposed to maintain the shock level for? Just hit the number and let it drift down? Or keep it about there for a period?

Re: Slamming pool

Carl -

How long is one supposed to maintain the shock level for? Just hit the number and let it drift down? Or keep it about there for a period?
During a SLAM you must maintain the shock level until it is complete. When is it complete? When three criteria are ALL met

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Directions on SLAMing your pool

Adam,

I just answered your question on a SLAM over on another thread. Your question there leads me to believe you do have something growing in the water and should at a minimum do a Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). I think you will probably fail the OCLT and then should read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

yeah, saw that Tim. Thanks.

I've been reading a lot of threads lately - trying to understand what I've got going on.
You really need to keep all of your questions in one thread so we get the entire picture. In one thread you describe your OCLT with a 1ppm loss, and even though that is technically a "pass", tied in with your constant loss of FC indicates there is something there.

You really need to keep all of your questions in one thread so we get the entire picture. In one thread you describe your OCLT with a 1ppm loss, and even though that is technically a "pass", tied in with your constant loss of FC indicates there is something there.

X 2 on Tim's comment. Doing so will get you better help as we can see the whole picture in one place. If you come up with questions, ask them in your thread please.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.