Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA very high and algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Katy, TX

CYA very high and algae

I'm a newer pool owner, this will be season 3. First year didn't do anything but put chlorine tablets in and kept the pool frog mineral pack in service. Year 2 started having continual algae problems. Did research this year, found this website and learned about CYA in the tablets and shock packets.

I've now been trying to bring the water in line without having to drain nearly all of the water at once but have ran out of time and have algae attacking. My CYA is now down to about 150 (it was off the scale at 200). I'm pulling the pool way down right now.

My question is should I not even try to SLAM the pool until I get the CYA levels to a reasonable level or should I go for it once I fill it back up this afternoon regardless of the levels?

I should mention I don't have the full kit yet which measures CYA, I've had Leslies test it and have been using strips. I have the chemical test kits for the other measurements.

Thanks, wish I'd found this site 2 years ago!
    15,000 gal IG Pebble Tech pool
    Variable Speed Haywood Pump
    Cartridge Filters

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA very high and algae

Welcome aboard!

No, get the Cya down because it will take enormous amounts of FC to SLAM that.

Get a good kit, and let us know when you get ready. We'll be here to help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

When my CYA was over 200 I was always afraid of algae gettin a foothold because of the enormous amounts of chlorine I would need to stop it.

The other issue you have that just has not reared its ugly head yet is that those frog "mineral" packs the nice pool store was happy to sell you were dumping metals into your water. If the pH gets out of whack or one of several other things happen you will,end up with metal stains in your pool. Oh, the pool store will be happy to sell you something for that also.....

The solution to both problems is water replacement.

With fresh water and a good test kit (not one from a pool store) you can fix your pool.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4
    Savannah GA

Set the frog to zero. Don't refill the mineral packs and only use the chlorine packs when you go out of town.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Without a test kit, you really don't know how high your CYA is. If you've been reading here for any length of time, you'll know that pool store test results can be wildly wrong. However, a steady diet of pucks and mineral packs make it highly likely that CYA is too high and you do have metals in the water, and draining is the simplest way to eliminate the problem.

You can't do anything else until you get a test kit. Don't even try. Many people have tried to get a head start on things while they waited for their kit to arrive, and it's just a waste of time and money. Treating pool water without a tes kit is working blind. It's like painting in a dark room. Yes, you'll get paint on the canvas, but it won't look good and you'll have wasted a lot of paint that just needs to be covered over once the lights get turned on.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Katy, TX

Thanks Tagard, same prob here! I'm new, have trusted the stores, and therefore have been dumping pucks in to keep my FC at only 1 or 2 with a store tested CYA of 140. Now I'm battling algae and clogged filters for a year! TF100 on order and ready to SLAM this weekend. I had a filter problem and decided to drain water, since I was on hold for a part anyway and I'm guessing the CYA will be higher than desired... Can't wait to test, see the numbers and get started. Good luck with your pool!