Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 35 mph wind and water loss

1. Back To Top    #1
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

35 mph wind and water loss

For about 3 days we have had strong winds here in East Central Illinois. My swimming pool had waves and water was splashing out! The wind blew everything to the skimmer so the surface was really clean. When the wind finally died down today, I was sad to notice that I had lost 1 1\2" - 2" of water. Has this happened to anyone else or do I just have crazy wind here?
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 35 mph wind and water loss

No, just crazy winds. It's not very often you get the winds we had for several days.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Winds have been crazy here lately..been doing my fair share of skimming and vacuuming this week..just waiting for all this rain and crappy weather to be over..next week looks promising..
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Happens to me all the time in AZ. Our winds our really bad.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

35 mile an hour winds would be nice We have had 20 to 40 with 65 MPH gusts just for fun... the most strait line wind we have had is 90 to 110, not exactly sure but I put in a shelter after that...

I am hoping the solar cover will cut down on some water loss...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

Hey, I hate my solar cover so much I never though to use it to keep the water in. I just might have to grin and bare it if we'll be getting more wind like this. Last time I took the solar cover off the pool, the entire thing went airborne with me hanging onto the edge. Not fun.
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    35 mile an hour winds would be nice We have had 20 to 40 with 65 MPH gusts just for fun... the most strait line wind we have had is 90 to 110, not exactly sure but I put in a shelter after that...

I am hoping the solar cover will cut down on some water loss...
    I agree. 35 mph is a breeze here...lol when they kick in it is usually 50- 80mph
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process