Had lots of leaves on bottom

Toomchfun

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Pool doesn't seem to be getting clear. 2 weeks in and can't see bottom.

FC 10 to 16 depending on time of day.
TA 80
CYA 25
PH 7.0

Pool was uncovered thru fall and winter and had lots of leaves on bottom. No chlorine was added over winter. Removed most of the leaves with vacuum. There are still a few leaves that come to the surface when brushing. I'm wondering if the filter is working properly, it hasn't had maintenance since new in May 2012. We run it 24/7 and backwash 2 times daily. Will it help to do a deep clean on the filter or should I just be patient and wait. I have creepy crawly, should I use it for vacuum to waste by moving it around where I want it to go?

Re: Help with SLAMing - pool is a swamp

Is CYA 25? or 65? With CYA of 65 you should be maintaining FC of 26. Which would explain why you are not making progress if you are keeping FC at 10 to 16.

Re: Help with SLAMing - pool is a swamp

The black dot on CYA test disappears between 20 and 30. I'm guessing it's about 25. I'm chlorinating based on 30. I am loosing about 6 ppm chlorine daily. I bring it up to 16 ppm in the evening and by the next evening it is at 10ppm. I am unable to test during the day.

Ok, I'm all caught up now. The slam will go better and faster if you can maintain your FC at shock level or a little above. How about adding chlorine in the morning and the evening? I would just keep filtering and backwashing but not deep clean yet. And patience, too.

I couldn't test during the day during the week either and had similar problems. I tested and added bleach before work, after work, and before bed. On the weekends, I added bleach as often as possible, setting a timer for every two hours when I was home. I also used skimmer socks for the first time. Stick with it. I also worried about the filter, etc not doing its job. It just takes patience and consistency. You can do it and it's worth the effort!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added chlorine last night to bring it up to 15.5ppm

This morning's readings were:

FC 12
CC 1
PH 7.7
TA 90
CYA somewhere around 25 to 30 the dot disappeared after 30 and before to top of the of the test with a Taylor K-2006.

I'll use 30 for shock level and keep it up today. Going to brush now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I started SLAM last Saturday 4-25-15 and one week after SLAM began, pool is still quite cloudy. I kept the SLAM levels up all day Saturday, and thru the week and brushed all but three days this. I vacuumed two of the three days I didn't brush. I'm adding 3 to 4 bottles 8.25% bleach daily to keep levels up.

Last Night FC was at 13.5 this morning the FC was at 12.5. 1ppm loss overnight.
I added chlorine this morning 8:00 am to bring my level up to 15.5 and at 2:00pm FC is 9.5

Current readings:
FC 9.5
pH 7.2
TA 90
CYA less than 25. the black dot does not disappear at the top of the tube.

At what point should I bring CYA up to the recommended level? I really can't tell what my CYA level is, the black dot doesn't disappear on the Taylor 2006 test. Will bringing it up slow my chlorine loss? I am currently losing 7-10 ppm daily, depending on sunlight.

Update:

Water is clear!

Current Levels:
FC 3
CC is less than .5
PH 7.6
TA 100
CYA 40
CH 100

I am noticing what appears to be filter sand gathering in crevices on the bottom of the pool within a few hours after vacuuming. What causes that? Is there a solution? Also, How long should I run the filter daily?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.