Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: smaller inlet orifice as poor man's massage jet?

1. Back To Top    #1

smaller inlet orifice as poor man's massage jet?

working on the inlet/outlet placement for my hot tub, i realized i could put a couple of small orifices around the tub at back level for the inlets, which would not be too different from massage jets. i know it would increase the system head and so make the pump work harder, but maybe these little nozzles could get me out of adding the separate jet pump and orifices (my jet needs are modest, this isn't a commercial spa or anything). i would like to know your thoughts.
    plumbing up wall-mounted equipment and plenty gauges below a 500G wooden outdoor hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: smaller inlet orifice as poor man's massage jet?

i realize this provides no aeration but see no reason that an air pump couldn't be hooked up to the plumbing instead of a dedicated jet. not sure whether it is normal to aerate for proper jets, never had them before.
    plumbing up wall-mounted equipment and plenty gauges below a 500G wooden outdoor hot tub.

3. Back To Top    #3

Getting jets specifically designed for a hot tub generally gives a better experience, and some decent jet fixtures are available for reasonable prices. Still, what you propose could also work.

However, while I can't be sure without way more detail, I suspect your "jet pump" issue is misplaced. Most commercial jets are designed to get maximum effect for reasonable amounts of pump effort. DIY jets are likely to need a larger pump to get the same effect.

Also, I am not sure what your reasoning behind talking about a separate jet pump is. It is quite possible to build a spa with only a single shared pump that still has good jet action.

Aeration is not at all required, but it does tend to give you a better jet experience for a given amount of pump energy.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My spa has two returns hooked to a venturi that get fed from the pool pump-filter-heater. It also has five returns and a separate drain that goes to a booster pump. I never used the booster pump and it sprung a leak and seized and I never bothered fixing it. You don't need a booster unless you want a huge amount of bubbles. I don't. It wastes heat, blowing cold air up through the warm spa, and the returns are just at the right height to pound the kinks out of my back and shoulders when I'm seated.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

got it - i had been under the impression the separate jet pump was more normal. i will keep working with the one-pump design, and thank you.

6. Back To Top    #6

One other thing that you may want to try is to installer spinner outlets fittings to get the massage effect.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks for the tip, am looking into them!