Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction side leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction side leak

Hello all. I have a auction suction side leak at the connection point of a valve. I found it by making a bubble solution and putting them over the suspected area then watching very closely. As you can see there's no much wiggle room as far as cutting and replacing pipes so I'd like to repair this without cutting if possible. Is there a product you can recommended to fix this? Thank you.
    9k gallon IG rectangle plaster pool spa combo, Sta-Rite P4R6F3-188 1 1/2 hp pump with Schneider Electric AVT11HU41M2U variable speed motor drive for 2 speeds, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite SR400NA gas heater, Jandy AquaLink RS, Zodiac Baracuda G3 cleaner Cover-Pools T-3 automatic cover. Built in 2006. K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suction side leak

I have used a marine epoxy putty that would probably seal that. It is a one part product that comes in a little log (think old style bubble gum log). You cut off what you need and knead it to activate, then push it into the crack.

I got it at Lowes, in the paint section with the glues/adhesives.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Are the bubbles being sucked in? This is on the suction side, so I would not think that bubbles should be generated at all.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    I have used a marine epoxy putty that would probably seal that. It is a one part product that comes in a little log (think old style bubble gum log). You cut off what you need and knead it to activate, then push it into the crack.

I got it at Lowes, in the paint section with the glues/adhesives.
    Thanks I'll look for it.
    9k gallon IG rectangle plaster pool spa combo, Sta-Rite P4R6F3-188 1 1/2 hp pump with Schneider Electric AVT11HU41M2U variable speed motor drive for 2 speeds, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite SR400NA gas heater, Jandy AquaLink RS, Zodiac Baracuda G3 cleaner Cover-Pools T-3 automatic cover. Built in 2006. K-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Are the bubbles being sucked in? This is on the suction side, so I would not think that bubbles should be generated at all.
    Yes the bubbles are being sucked in. It's too windy to try a smoke test so I originally poured water over it but couldn't see anything, so I made bubbles and put them over the area. Had to look closely but I could see the being sucked up.

6. Back To Top    #6

Roger that. So an epoxy or even just using PVC solvent might work, since you have the advantage of the suction pulling it into the leak ... much harder to deal with on the pressure side.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Great! I appreciate the help.