Good caulk to use between coping and deck

Feb 4, 2008
Princeton, NJ
Hi all,

Now that the pool is done I still need to fill the gap between the travertine coping and the travertine pavers ... I have heard good things about deck-o-seal (expensive stuff !) but also read that Sikaflex-1CSL might be an option.

The gap is a bit uneven - 1/2" to 1" wide and of varying depth (but I'll use sand or backing rod to make sure I don't need too much caulk/whatever the stuff is now called.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to use ?

Thanks all !

Patrick

Hello,

When we do deck repairs in the Fall, I use only SL-1 & NP-1 polyurethane adhesives. It come in a orange & black tube. I been using this brand for years, I used NP-1 on kitchen backsplash, around the bath tub to automotive repairs. This adhesive is not a common brand you will find at any hardware store, you have to to a local mason wholeseller or a professional paint store.

As for the exspansion joints between the coping and the deck, we use a bedding mix. It's not messy to work with just tuckpoint the surface flat before chalking. If you diy, be sure that your joints are at least 1/4" to 3/8" below the coping & the deck. Why? SL-1 joint sealant is self leveling and you want enough adhesive rest in the pocket you have created.

Here's a breakdown from the manufacture.
http://www.williamsequipment.com/PDFs/sl1_tdg.pdf
http://www.epremier.net/public/NP1_PDS_112906.pdf

I would be reluctant to use anything but a flexible, polyurethane caulk at that joint. The coping and flagstone can (and frequently do) move in opposed directions and you need a flexible seal at that point to move with them.

Polyurethane caulk is messy to work with and you have a difficult job if it truly is an inch wide. That said, I still think it will do the best job for you. Brand seems somewhat irrelevant but be sure to stay away from silicone or acrylic caulk.....they do not do as well even tho they are easier to work with.

I ended up using deck-o-seal which I bought from my local Leslie's.

I had put a felt/tar strip between the coping and the pavers, and I filled the rest up with sand to a consistent depth (using a broom), put wide masking tape on both sides of the joint and poured the deck-o-seal in. I needed 3 96 oz kits. I hate the sticky stuff but it worked like a charm.

Duraleigh,

folks on this forum (including yourself, naturally) have been extraordinarily helpful throughout our pool build - so thanks a lot for your continued support ! It made all the difference getting the pool in without any major issues. Can't wait to open the pool again in May !

Thanks again (to you and everyone else on this forum)

Patrick

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.