Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: skimmer plate/thingy

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

skimmer plate/thingy

After years of successful TFP maintenance of my AGPs, I'm pretty much taking over care of an in-ground pool about 30 miles from my house. So please be patient as I will probably ask a bunch of newbie questions all over again.

The pool has a skimmer and bottom drain but only 1 pipe coming out of the ground to the pump inlet (I was expecting 2 lines plus a valve).

The plumbing looks like this:

There are two holes at the bottom of the skimmer but it seems like only 1 of them has suction (I think), I'm guessing that is normal. Sitting at the bottom of the skimmer is this thingy. Does this normally provide some kind of adjust-ability as to how much suction comes from the skimmer vs. bottom drain? Also, does it allow me to drain the pool below the skimmer without sucking air so i can adjust the CYA level? Any inputs would be appreciated!

That thing is really stained, but probably can't be cleaned. The inside of the skimmer looks the same.
    Skimmer thingy.jpg
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: skimmer plate/thingy

As you have figured out, of the two pipes in the bottom of the skimmer, one goes to the main drain and one back to the equipment pad.

I don't have that in my skimmers (all home run like you were hoping) but as I understand it, yes it should give you some adjustability.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

On the bottom of the space ship should be a piece of plastic that can slide over the hole, doing so will force more suction from the floor. That said, it is usually best to have most of the flow going through the skimmer.

This float diverter does not usually seal air tight and will not likely allow you to drain down below the skimmer. You might be able to do so with a vacuum hose put into the skimmer hole.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

As said above, underneath that UFO should be a plate that slides over a hole. If the plate is fully closed, all teh suction goes to the main drain. All the way open, suction is to the skimmer. If the water drops too low in the skimmer, the float inside - yes, it should rattle when you shake it, nothing's broken - gets sucked against the hole and all the suction goes to the main drain. How I adjusted mine was I watched the turbulence in the skimmer without the diverter valve. Then I started closing it up until there is just the slightest detectable difference. Seems to work well.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!