Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing Question to Add Heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing Question to Add Heater

Attached are some pictures that show my current plumbing. I'm in the process of adding a heater, but am not sure the best way to tie it in. I don't see a way to cut the pipe and tie into anywhere. It needs to be plumbed to the outlet side of the return. Current PVC pipe is 2.5" which so far has further complicated the issue. I will most likely turn the filter 180 degrees and re-plumb my inlet to my filter from my pump, plumb in to my heat pump, and then connect back into my return line somehow. Just not sure how to do it once I take the union off where my filter connects to right now. Any ideas on best way to do this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20,000 IG Pool, Pebble Sheen Interior, A&A "G4V" in floor cleaning system, Hayward Ecostar 3400 VSP and Hayward Cartridge 700 Sq Ft with 2.5" PVC Plumbing, Hayward On Command Controller, Acrylic concrete decking and Travertine Coping, Rock Water feature with built in slide and waterfall.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing Question to Add Heater

Welcome to TFP!!!

Yup, your plumber did you no favors at all. Some of these guys need to be slapped and told to leave some extra pipe somewhere

You either need to move the filter to the right, or maybe move it right and rotate it 90 degrees to be facing the pump.

If you cut the pipe right by the last Tee fitting, you should be able to use a ram-bit to bore out that fitting so you can glue a new pipe into it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Another option is to locate a pair of inside slip fitting, which will glue inside the pipe, and so can be used directly on the cut off ends when you cut the pipe right after the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I ended up ordering new unions for the filter and just starting over when I plumbed in my solar panels.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I looked at the ram bits, but couldn't find one in a 2.5" size, so I may have to look for a slip fitting or buy some more unions.
    20,000 IG Pool, Pebble Sheen Interior, A&A "G4V" in floor cleaning system, Hayward Ecostar 3400 VSP and Hayward Cartridge 700 Sq Ft with 2.5" PVC Plumbing, Hayward On Command Controller, Acrylic concrete decking and Travertine Coping, Rock Water feature with built in slide and waterfall.