Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Lebanon, PA

Adding Borates

Let me start by saying this will be my first season using the TFP methods. I have checked my CYA in advance of opening the pool and i will need to let out some water and put new in (about 10,000 gal) to bring my CYA level down. So if i am adding borates would i do the next or SLAM the pool 1st? Also any risk of Borates with a Plaster pool?
    Located in Lebanon,Pennsylvania.. 25,000 Gallon IG Plaster Pool Installed Fall of 2011...
    Stenner 3GPD pump
    Jandy DEV60 60SqFt DE Filter (Using Puri fiber.)..,1.5Hp Jandy Pump PMPH1.5
    Aqucal SQ 166R Heater...Polaris 9400 Robot/Cleaner
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Adding Borates

You want everything in your pool to be balanced and well maintained before adding the optional borates.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Adding Borates

Borates are fine with plaster except during the first 30 days after plaster is freshly applied.

As jblizzle said, wait until you have the water replaced, SLAM complete, and everything going smoothly before adding borates.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School