Air Bubbles in Return Jets and No Suction when Vacuuming via skimmer

JimPea

Apr 24, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
Background: Winter freeze created cracked multiport valve. Had it replaced by local pool contractor. Following the winter freeze I attempted to open the pool only to find the filter top had warped and needed a complete replacement (shame on me...did not winterize!). After replacing the the previous Pentair FNS 48 Plus Fiberglass D.E. Filter with a downsized FNS 24 filter (operates basically the same only processing a slower water-flow @ GPM).

With the above in mind, I now have air bubbles at both return jets. Additionally, when I attempt to vacuum via the skimmer, as soon as I shift the J-valve to the skimmer position, I lose all pressure and the water stops flowing (as seen via the pump window). I have tried many of the test that I have been reading in other threads (i.e., check/replace the pump, replace the pump gasket, et al) and have had 3 different local pool service reps inspect my system all to no avail.

I am obviously missing something. Hopefully, you can point me in the right direction. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks...

Well, if there is no air in the pump strainer basket, that makes it almost impossible for air to be in the returns (I believe you, I'm just explaining).

Your pools circulatory system has two sides.....a pressure side (everything after the pump) and a suction side (everything before the pump..including the skimmers in your pool.) Air can only enter on the suction side. A leak after the pump would be water, not air.

What is your psi?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.