Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air Bubbles in Return Jets and No Suction when Vacuuming via skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Air Bubbles in Return Jets and No Suction when Vacuuming via skimmer

Background: Winter freeze created cracked multiport valve. Had it replaced by local pool contractor. Following the winter freeze I attempted to open the pool only to find the filter top had warped and needed a complete replacement (shame on me...did not winterize!). After replacing the the previous Pentair FNS 48 Plus Fiberglass D.E. Filter with a downsized FNS 24 filter (operates basically the same only processing a slower water-flow @ GPM).

With the above in mind, I now have air bubbles at both return jets. Additionally, when I attempt to vacuum via the skimmer, as soon as I shift the J-valve to the skimmer position, I lose all pressure and the water stops flowing (as seen via the pump window). I have tried many of the test that I have been reading in other threads (i.e., check/replace the pump, replace the pump gasket, et al) and have had 3 different local pool service reps inspect my system all to no avail.

I am obviously missing something. Hopefully, you can point me in the right direction. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks...
    16' x 32' Foxx in-ground pool; Pentair FNS Plus Fiberglass D.E. Filter; Hayward pump; 1 1/2" PVC plumbing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air Bubbles in Return Jets and No Suction when Vacuuming via skimmer

Hi, welcome to TFP! Sorry, I don't have an answer, but here is a to help.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Pump running, can you see air in the pump strainer basket or only water?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Pump running, can you see air in the pump strainer basket or only water?
    Only water. Initially, at startup there may be a bubble or two but they work themselves out fairly quickly. Air bubbles are only at the return jets.
    16' x 32' Foxx in-ground pool; Pentair FNS Plus Fiberglass D.E. Filter; Hayward pump; 1 1/2" PVC plumbing.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Well, if there is no air in the pump strainer basket, that makes it almost impossible for air to be in the returns (I believe you, I'm just explaining).

Your pools circulatory system has two sides.....a pressure side (everything after the pump) and a suction side (everything before the pump..including the skimmers in your pool.) Air can only enter on the suction side. A leak after the pump would be water, not air.

What is your psi?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    What is your psi?
    PSI is right at 10 (which, in the past, has been normal).

On another note, my hearing is not the greatest but, I swear that I hear a hiss (as in air...not water) right at the multi-port valve...which is on the pressure side. Could this be?