Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy 1400 to Aquarite Conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy 1400 to Aquarite Conversion

I'm changing my Jandy system to Hayward Aquarite. The Hayward cell is the same length as the Jandy. They are both for 2" plumbing. That's even better. The problem is that the Jandy has a bigger fitting that connects to it's cell than the Aquarite one does. I am very tight room due to existing elbows and the like, so once I start cutting, I wind up replacing a world of things. Is anyone aware of an adapter to make the Aquarite cell threads work with an existing Jandy fitting? I will take a photo and post it when I go home for lunch shortly.

THanks
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy 1400 to Aquarite Conversion

IMG_0708.jpg

Here is a photo. I think I'm out of luck
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

3. Back To Top    #3

IMG_0706.jpg

Here are my constraints. THere is a place downstream I can put all of it, but it would be nice to put it where the old cell was.

4. Back To Top    #4

The end closer to the filter is going to be challenging. I can't think of any way to do that without also replacing at least the two fittings above the SWG. The further end doesn't look bad, that will just require replacing the one 90.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

If there is not an adapter that will go from a Jandy to Aqua fitting, then is there a piece that can go in where the cell is currently located without any cutting? I guess I could leave the old cell there. Image left there is an elbow. Once it makes that turn, I have about a 20" or so straight section where I can put the new cell and sensor.

6. Back To Top    #6

May I ask why you switched from the Jandy? It would have been a direct swap?

That 90 before the generator looks like a waste line PVC, not SCH 40.

Can you post a pic of what is upstream of the top right of the picture? Looks like a Tee for the Polaris, which can come after the generator, and a repair sleeve?
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have replaced 3 flow sensors in the 8 years I have had it. Last year, instead of buying another flow sensor, I bought a whole cell. By the end of the summer, I then started getting warning codes. Either the front, back, or both boards are out. I am just tired of constantly replace Jandy swg parts. It seemed like Hayward has better reliability.

- - - Updated - - -

PS, I tried to work through the board issues with Jandy last summer. Unless you're a pool professional, they won't even talk to you. I was told to get the pool professional to call them back instead.

8. Back To Top    #8

Makes sense, I'd probably bail as well with that kind of luck.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    I have replaced 3 flow sensors in the 8 years I have had it. Last year, instead of buying another flow sensor, I bought a whole cell. By the end of the summer, I then started getting warning codes. Either the front, back, or both boards are out. I am just tired of constantly replace Jandy swg parts. It seemed like Hayward has better reliability.

- - - Updated - - -

PS, I tried to work through the board issues with Jandy last summer. Unless you're a pool professional, they won't even talk to you. I was told to get the pool professional to call them back instead.
    Yea, but there are only 2 or 3 parts and the boards are pretty cheap. I just had to replace the transformer and board in mine because of a melted plug. 160 dollars later and my SWG works great. You are right though, Jandy is useless for tech support.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Hayward is here to help if needed.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

11. Back To Top    #11

I did call Hayward to try and see if there was an adapter. THey told me to go to Home Depot. HD isn't going to have anything like this. Does such an adapter exist? I been searching for "bushings," online but no luck yet.

12. Back To Top    #12

I've never seen anything remotely like the kind of adapter you would need.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

I talked with a plumber friend and he was the one that said it was a bushing. I have found parts that were threaded inside and out like I would need, but with a 3.5" ID on the big part and 3.25" OD on the Hayward, 1/8" thickness doesn't leave anything for threads. I was never able to find any dimensions on the Aquarite before ordering. I did download their installation manual and owners manual. These type of conflicts are so frustrating. Last summer my pump died. I bought another Jandy, but went multispeed this time. It made a big deal about having an adpater to fit various other brands. I bought it. It didn't match the existing Jandy layout I had. I had to cut a fair amount of plumbing to make the new Jandy work with the old Jandy.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

I know of no adapter available. We did make some Aqua Flo thread adapters a long way back that might have worked but no longer in production.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

15. Back To Top    #15

If I may add some info here. You need a minimum of 12 inches of straight pipe if the flow switch is installed before the cell. If you are installing the flow switch after the cell, you can count the cell in this measurement meeting the minimum requirement of 12 inches. I can't see your flow switch but perhaps this may have led to the flow switch error codes/troubles you have experienced ?
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

16. Back To Top    #16

The sensors for the pictured AquaPure are in the third port on the bottom of the cell. That specific cell does not require any straight pipe before the sensors.
    Gary

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
    The sensors for the pictured AquaPure are in the third port on the bottom of the cell. That specific cell does not require any straight pipe before the sensors.
    OK I stand corrected. I see the sensor now. That is a Hayward requirement.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

18. Back To Top    #18

The Hayward is installed. I barely had enough room to get the 12" of straight pipe upstream from the flow sensor. It took me aobut 2.5 hours to cut everything out and replumb it. So far, so good.