Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking 12 year old 2.5 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking 12 year old 2.5 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump

I have a 13,000 gallon pool with a DE filter, Navigator® Pro cleaner and 12 year old 2.0 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump and a 2.0 booster pump.
    The main pump in leaking in the front. I was paying .31 kWh, running 4 hours approx $2.75 to $3.00 per day. Now I'm on a
    TOU-B plan with SCE which allows me to pay .11 kWh from 12 am to 8am, paying approx $1.00 per day. MY question is
    should I fix the 2.5 pump, replace with 2 speed or get a VS pump ?
    Last edited by jsteach; 04-24-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: wrong information

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaking 12 year old 2.5 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump

Welcome to TFP!

With electricity at $0.11/kWh you will have the lowest lifetime costs by either fixing the leak, or replacing the pump with a two speed pump (depending on how easy it is to fix the leak). If you expect your electric rates to back up to anything remotely like $0.31/kWh then a variable speed pump is a better deal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

The cheapest up front cost would be to just replace the motor on the existing pump, or go to a 2-speed version. (Assuming that the wet end of the pump is fine, maybe just replace the seals). If you are not going to run during the higher cost times, then the 2-speed would be the best choice, although a VS would be more flexible and cheaper if you ran during the day.

First, Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

A 2.5 HP Whisperflo is a VERY large pump, what requires you to have such high flow rates? You may be able to switch to a smaller motor and impeller.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry !!! It's actually a 2.0 hp pump. I should measure twice, cut once. With the .11 khw in early morning, that will be the only time I run the pump.
    What brand of 2 speed pump would you recommend ?
    Built 2002, 12,500 gal IG w/waterfall spa. Pebbletec. Aqualink 8157 RS6 w/ Aqua Rite generator.
    main pump WFE-8 2.0 hp, booster WFE-8 2.0 hp for spa, waterfall W/F 1.5hp
    Pentair minimax NT heater, Pentair FNSP 48 DE filter. Haward navigator pro

5. Back To Top    #5

At 12 years old, the motor mounting plate's brass threaded screw receivers are likely to be corroded beyond usability. Trying to get the motor mounting screws out is very likely to be difficult without ripping the brass insertss out.