Pump replacement

Jun 13, 2014
Pine Mountain GA
I've learned tons over the past year after purchasing a home with an existing pool. I've been able to solve many pool related issues while enjoying the pool. Unfortunately, the kids crashed a bicycle into the pool pumps / PVC piping yesterday requiring yet more work. Fortunately, all damage was to the pool hardware and not the kid. Having said that, all visible damage is to the PVC piping. The first break is where the PVC threads into the pump head. I see no visible cracks on the pump. The second break is where the booster connects to the PVC. My concern is the age of the pump & motor. If I start monkeying with the pump to get the PVC out, the ABS pump could be cracked. Additionally, I'd like to explore the option of upgrading to a VS pump from the OLD single speed. My question here is do I still need a booster pump for the Polaris cleaner? And, If I upgrade to a VS pump, should I invest into a better controller/timer over the analog timer I currently have. It works but doesn't keep correct time.

Thanks

IMG_2034.jpg

It's salvageable, but will take some effort. You have several possibilities, chip out, or use a screwdriver and mallet and attempt to unscrew the piece. Purchase a new pump. (If you go that route get a 2-speed.) Replace the housing and transfer everything over.

Depending on your energy cost. A 2-speed is a better value. No need to replace the timer. Just a simple toggle switch.

If you get a VS Pump you can either ditch the timer or wire it to the timer and leave it ON all the time. The control panel on the pump can control the pump run times and speeds. My Pentair VS pump is wired to a timer that is ON with no dogs on the clock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.