Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump replacement

I've learned tons over the past year after purchasing a home with an existing pool. I've been able to solve many pool related issues while enjoying the pool. Unfortunately, the kids crashed a bicycle into the pool pumps / PVC piping yesterday requiring yet more work. Fortunately, all damage was to the pool hardware and not the kid. Having said that, all visible damage is to the PVC piping. The first break is where the PVC threads into the pump head. I see no visible cracks on the pump. The second break is where the booster connects to the PVC. My concern is the age of the pump & motor. If I start monkeying with the pump to get the PVC out, the ABS pump could be cracked. Additionally, I'd like to explore the option of upgrading to a VS pump from the OLD single speed. My question here is do I still need a booster pump for the Polaris cleaner? And, If I upgrade to a VS pump, should I invest into a better controller/timer over the analog timer I currently have. It works but doesn't keep correct time.

Thanks

IMG_2034.jpg
    16x32 IG vinyl 24K gal, Hayward S210T Sand filter, Hayward 1HP Super pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump replacement

It's salvageable, but will take some effort. You have several possibilities, chip out, or use a screwdriver and mallet and attempt to unscrew the piece. Purchase a new pump. (If you go that route get a 2-speed.) Replace the housing and transfer everything over.

Depending on your energy cost. A 2-speed is a better value. No need to replace the timer. Just a simple toggle switch.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

If you get a VS Pump you can either ditch the timer or wire it to the timer and leave it ON all the time. The control panel on the pump can control the pump run times and speeds. My Pentair VS pump is wired to a timer that is ON with no dogs on the clock.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, Maybe I'll tinker with the pump a little before just replacing it. Most of my incentive to replace the existing pump with a VS is related to my power tier. Just trying to do all I can do to lower power consumption.

Thanks for the information.
    16x32 IG vinyl 24K gal, Hayward S210T Sand filter, Hayward 1HP Super pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster