cya off the chart

Pool_Fool

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 24, 2012
Lynchburg, VA
Just tested a potential new client. Was told they were using Sams and Lowes for their chlorine. And it was as I feared, the cya is atleast 280+.
I believe these people are on a well, this is going to be tough news.

Curios, how is it that people do not experience more issues with their pools as they continue to use these tablets? Is there a level of cya in which there is no more problems?

I have fought many of high cya pools, in the recent past and each one of them is tough. But thanks to this board, I am well informed and ready for the fight.

Thoughts?

PF

Just tested a potential new client. Was told they were using Sams and Lowes for their chlorine. And it was as I feared, the cya is atleast 280+.

Curios, how is it that people do not experience more issues with their pools as they continue to use these tablets? Is there a level of cya in which there is no more problems?

I have fought many of high cya pools, in the recent past and each one of them is tough. But thanks to this board, I am well informed and ready for the fight.

Thoughts?
PF

My thoughts are that even though they run with High Cya residuals, they are constantly feeding and maintaining enough FC to keep them out of trouble. I can't prove this, but I believe it. It's when they let it slip that they wind up Green and then in deep trouble. Typical "shock" treatments get them back on or just over the edge of a bloom and they stay right on the verge of another. Never getting enough FC long enough to kill everything. We see this time, and time again every summer, and there will be many of them showing up here in the next couple of months until the end of season. When they are clear, just take note of how many you test will be over chlorinated. Great question... I've pondered it more than a few times, and I'm convinced this is the answer. I always wind up helping someone personally every year and more than one of those have had staggering FC residuals. Every one of them has a similar history too. Green, clear...Green Clear and....why does my pool do this?

Thoughts?

PF

I think when a pool gets that high with CYA , the people that treat the pool are just accustom to dumping in a lot of chlorine every week. The owners are also accustom to high pool maintenance cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.