Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Intex Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Intex Pool

We have had an Intex 20' x 48" for almost 5 years now. The top rails have rusted to a point where it is not safe. So we have decided to get the Intex 22' x 52". When we put it up 5 years ago we did like the DVD said. We found a flat spot and through down the tarp and put pool up. Didn't remove grass or try to level. To my surprise it was within 1" of level all the way around. Now the support legs have sank into the ground about 4". Plus under the pool has sank below ground level.

My plan of attack is to take a roto tiller and till a 4" deep 3 foot wide strip all the way around. Then level to low point from the center. I will be using 6" x 6" pavers under the support legs this time. Does this sound like the easiest way to go about this project? I know the pavers need to be flush with the ground, but what does everyone do if level leaves the paver just sitting on the ground? How do you protect the liner from the edge of the paver?
    Intex 22' x 52"
    Intex 2500 gph
    TFPC Method (BBB)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Intex Pool

Tilling will fluff up the soil which is not good because it will settle again. Soil under the pool needs to be compacted. But, after 5 years with a pool sitting there you should be good to go now. Putting pavers under the uprights is probably all I would do at this point. Oh, and enjoy the new pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I was going to till up the grass and a little dirt then shovel it out. Since the new pool is 2 foot bigger. Just till it up so I can make it level with where the pool is now. Not going to leave fluffy dirt in place.
    Intex 22' x 52"
    Intex 2500 gph
    TFPC Method (BBB)

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, I see, sorry I missed that. I thought they were the same size. Yes, that's a good plan for the extra two feet.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Sharpen a flat nose shovel, and just scrape the top layer off. Goes much easier with a sharpened blade. Do not till it up, loosens up the soil way too much.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.