Concrete counter

Sep 3, 2011
Hoping to pour in place my outdoor concrete counter on Saturday. Would love any advice or last min suggestions. Will be 1.5 inches and using remedy from HD. I have mesh setting on two screws crisscrossed in many locations to keep it around 1/2 inch - 3/4 inch off my base does this sound appropriate? I also secured it to the many screws with wire. Now I'm worried that it should just be sitting on the screws so it will have movement as the concrete cures? Does it matter if it's secured or loose? Your thoughts please having last min jitters!!!!
Here r some pix
ad1ae88917bf165083774827c3227da2.jpg
de1a248afb918977e23baf16fbf24bbe.jpg
1bf3242d01f0f0f96816d0221f18bcea.jpg
dc706b69ed663cae536f5c1f4e835fe2.jpg
0bc0d542e99690770a5b678c5ab490aa.jpg
93c2cf4e8b77c2a07148e53570a8dbd2.jpg

Jeeper

I can't tell you location so don't know if you get lots of freezes. I don't in Texas so I wasn't too worried about it. I don't know if the mesh you added will gain you anything. It needs to be in the center of the concrete and support almost everywhere or the pure weight of the concrete will flatten it.

Have you read my ODK build thread? In there I talk about using a reciprocating saw, without the blade, to vibrate the edges and base to work the air bubbles out. You might think about this.

Plastic is to stop plywood base from wicking water from concrete during curing also read that if concrete shrinks could help minimize cracking bc won't adhere to wood was something that won't hurt so I figured why not

Jeeper

I dont think the wire ties are going to hurt you one bit. It will keep the steel from popping out for sure, which is what you want.

Dont forget to spray the forms with PAM cooking spray before you pour the concrete! Thats gonna look good when it's done. I like it!

Framed from PT lumber trimmed with cedar and I made cabinet doors from cedar too, 1/2 ply around perimeter with roof felt lath then stone veneer I had left over from patio roof project 3/4 ply under frame to add support also sitting on casters..

Jeeper

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For third time my quickrete counter top mix has not come in to lowes like I was told. Almost 3 weeks now. Ordered it so I could pour last week while I was on vacation. Vey frustrating since there is a quickcrete plant not far from here but they won't sell to consumer. I may have to find an alternative product. Anyone have suggestions for in expensive sanding options. Thought maybe dry orbital sander? We want it smooth to acid stain not to show aggregate???? I am ready to finish this project already!!

Jeeper

I have made 2 fire pit top rings with that mix. I wanted the aggregate exposed and i also have glass poured in the tops. I bought some diamond pads on eBay and used both a regular grinder and also an orbital sander. To not expose you prob need to start with a pretty fine grit as it seams like the top layer polishes away pretty easily.

Sorry to butt in but had a quick question... I'm probably going to pour concrete countertops when I do my ODK but I will definitely be pouring for a ring for my fire pit. I did a search for Remedy on HD but did not come up with anything. Is it something special for this application? I was probably going to do what Jabooh1 did but add some colorant in it or just stain it afterwards...

Well poured my counter yesterday!!! Wow thought I would need 6-7 bags used nine. Thankful I had bought 10. Rented mixer for 32$ A GOOD CHOICE. It went well set up a little faster then I thought, but bag called for 1 gallon of water per 80# bag. I thought the mix was a little dry but when I started screeding and vibrating it seemed just fine. Will prob take the side forms off late tonight or tomorrow morning. I trowl finished it pretty darn smooth I was very amazed. I will prob hit the edges and sides a little bit with 200 grit hand sander. Question, this being an outdoor counter with kamado grill in it what is the best sealer against stains?? And how long to wait before I sand, acid stain and seal if?????? I'm so close to being done...

Jeeper

Finally poured my counter

Well poured my counter yesterday!!! Wow thought I would need 6-7 bags used nine. Thankful I had bought 10. Rented mixer for 32$ A GOOD CHOICE. It went well set up a little faster then I thought, but bag called for 1 gallon of water per 80# bag. I thought the mix was a little dry but when I started screeding and vibrating it seemed just fine. Will prob take the side forms off late tonight or tomorrow morning. I trowl finished it pretty darn smooth I was very amazed. I will prob hit the edges and sides a little bit with 200 grit hand sander.

Question, this being an outdoor counter with kamado grill in it what is the best sealer against stains?? And how long to wait before I sand, acid stain and seal if?????? I'm so close to being done...

Removed forms hand some pin holes.....even after t on of vibrating. Can I use my same countertop mix for a slurry to fill the holes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.