Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concrete counter

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete counter

Hoping to pour in place my outdoor concrete counter on Saturday. Would love any advice or last min suggestions. Will be 1.5 inches and using remedy from HD. I have mesh setting on two screws crisscrossed in many locations to keep it around 1/2 inch - 3/4 inch off my base does this sound appropriate? I also secured it to the many screws with wire. Now I'm worried that it should just be sitting on the screws so it will have movement as the concrete cures? Does it matter if it's secured or loose? Your thoughts please having last min jitters!!!!
    Here r some pix

Jeeper
    18 by 36 mountain lake, swg aqua plus, cartgidge filter, two speed tristar 1hp, 1hp super pump for deck jet n waterfall, espio alarm, aquabot jr, Definitive Tech Aw6500 speakers, Onkyo receiver

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete counter

Here r some pix

Jeeper
    18 by 36 mountain lake, swg aqua plus, cartgidge filter, two speed tristar 1hp, 1hp super pump for deck jet n waterfall, espio alarm, aquabot jr, Definitive Tech Aw6500 speakers, Onkyo receiver

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't tell you location so don't know if you get lots of freezes. I don't in Texas so I wasn't too worried about it. I don't know if the mesh you added will gain you anything. It needs to be in the center of the concrete and support almost everywhere or the pure weight of the concrete will flatten it.

Have you read my ODK build thread? In there I talk about using a reciprocating saw, without the blade, to vibrate the edges and base to work the air bubbles out. You might think about this.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

4. Back To Top    #4

the vibration is key for good concrete work for sure!
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

5. Back To Top    #5

What is the plastic under the chicken wire for? I've never seen that before.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014

6. Back To Top    #6

Plastic is to stop plywood base from wicking water from concrete during curing also read that if concrete shrinks could help minimize cracking bc won't adhere to wood was something that won't hurt so I figured why not

Jeeper

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep if you used plywood you would need something there. Good call.
    ~Paul

8. Back To Top    #8

I dont think the wire ties are going to hurt you one bit. It will keep the steel from popping out for sure, which is what you want.

Dont forget to spray the forms with PAM cooking spray before you pour the concrete! Thats gonna look good when it's done. I like it!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

What is the base made from, looks like a stained wood. I have pressure treated frame built, and was wondering about wood doors. Looking forward to see the outcome here.
    Steve ~16K IG Vinyl Pool, Hayward TriStar 1.5 hp, Hayward S244TE filter, Polaris 280 w/booster pump, Prologic PL-P-4, Hayward AquaConnect, 3 PAL LED lights, 3 Deck Jets, AquaComfort ACT 1100 heater and TF-100 Test Kit with SpeedStir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Framed from PT lumber trimmed with cedar and I made cabinet doors from cedar too, 1/2 ply around perimeter with roof felt lath then stone veneer I had left over from patio roof project 3/4 ply under frame to add support also sitting on casters..

Jeeper

11. Back To Top    #11

For third time my quickrete counter top mix has not come in to lowes like I was told. Almost 3 weeks now. Ordered it so I could pour last week while I was on vacation. Vey frustrating since there is a quickcrete plant not far from here but they won't sell to consumer. I may have to find an alternative product. Anyone have suggestions for in expensive sanding options. Thought maybe dry orbital sander? We want it smooth to acid stain not to show aggregate???? I am ready to finish this project already!!

Jeeper

12. Back To Top    #12

I bought an orbital sander from harbor freight and diamond pads.

For what it's worth I used regular 5000 psi concrete from Home Depot.
    ~Paul

13. Back To Top    #13

I have made 2 fire pit top rings with that mix. I wanted the aggregate exposed and i also have glass poured in the tops. I bought some diamond pads on eBay and used both a regular grinder and also an orbital sander. To not expose you prob need to start with a pretty fine grit as it seams like the top layer polishes away pretty easily.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

14. Back To Top    #14

Sorry to butt in but had a quick question... I'm probably going to pour concrete countertops when I do my ODK but I will definitely be pouring for a ring for my fire pit. I did a search for Remedy on HD but did not come up with anything. Is it something special for this application? I was probably going to do what Jabooh1 did but add some colorant in it or just stain it afterwards...
    25K gal FF; QuartzScapes Barbados Blue; ColorLogic LEDs, ProLogic PS-8, AquaPod, AquaConnect, (3) WhisperFlo 2.5HP pumps, 1HP blower, 3/4HP cleaner pump; Pentair CC 520 cartridge filter; MasterTemp 400 propane, Rainbow 320; UltraPure UV/Ozone; Polaris 280; 7' raised spa by rock waterside; (soon) 62" fire pit, (soon) ODK; 60x40 screen enclosure
    Build - here.

15. Back To Top    #15

I purchased from through Home Depot and got it in about 3- 4 days. They said I could go to the Quickrete plant about 30 miles away to pick up the bags to get them the same day, but Didn't mind the wait.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

16. Back To Top    #16

Well poured my counter yesterday!!! Wow thought I would need 6-7 bags used nine. Thankful I had bought 10. Rented mixer for 32$ A GOOD CHOICE. It went well set up a little faster then I thought, but bag called for 1 gallon of water per 80# bag. I thought the mix was a little dry but when I started screeding and vibrating it seemed just fine. Will prob take the side forms off late tonight or tomorrow morning. I trowl finished it pretty darn smooth I was very amazed. I will prob hit the edges and sides a little bit with 200 grit hand sander. Question, this being an outdoor counter with kamado grill in it what is the best sealer against stains?? And how long to wait before I sand, acid stain and seal if?????? I'm so close to being done...

Jeeper

17. Back To Top    #17

Finally poured my counter

Well poured my counter yesterday!!! Wow thought I would need 6-7 bags used nine. Thankful I had bought 10. Rented mixer for 32$ A GOOD CHOICE. It went well set up a little faster then I thought, but bag called for 1 gallon of water per 80# bag. I thought the mix was a little dry but when I started screeding and vibrating it seemed just fine. Will prob take the side forms off late tonight or tomorrow morning. I trowl finished it pretty darn smooth I was very amazed. I will prob hit the edges and sides a little bit with 200 grit hand sander.

Question, this being an outdoor counter with kamado grill in it what is the best sealer against stains?? And how long to wait before I sand, acid stain and seal if?????? I'm so close to being done...

Removed forms hand some pin holes.....even after t on of vibrating. Can I use my same countertop mix for a slurry to fill the holes?

18. Back To Top    #18

Use the same mix but remove any aggregate.

Wait for it to cure for 28 days before you sand.

After sanding you can stain right away.

I can't remember the sealer I used but will look it up and let you know.
    ~Paul

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks Jabooh 1

20. Back To Top    #20

any update on the countertop? pics?
    2016 pool build.... 18k gal. freeform style, built in round table, 18" jumping platform, travertine coping upgrade, travertine waterline, peagravel decking, saltwater pool (no spa), Quartzscape blue., 1.5hp Pentair pump, JANDY SWG, 48sqft Pentair DE filter, TFP-100 kit w/speedstir MYPoolBuild

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast