Inground or above ground

Apr 23, 2015
Tinley Park, Il
We live in a suburb outside of Chicago. We are a family of 3, myself, my husband and our 14year old son who in Fall of 2015 will be a freshman. Right now we have a 24foot round above ground, we have had it for 7 years it got a lot of use. During a storm last year it was damaged where now we need a new pool. Inground pool will run is about 46,000 we have the money BUT it's a lot of money to shell out. My dream has always been to have an inground, I love the deep section and I love how pretty they look. Our yard is 85x130 with easements and pool there won't be much room left. We thought about getting an oval 18x33 and digging it in half way then putting a deck the plastic kind like the fences and landscaping around it. Ok long story short, to all the inground owners is it worth it, will a 14 year old use it, yes he does love to swim but he is getting older. I am SOOO confused it is making me sick to my stomach! My husband is just at the point where he says whatever I want. But for me not to of signed on the dotted line something is holding me back. Financially it will be tighter for the next few years but doable. I am sure the above ground pool after all is said and done it will cost close to 20,000...any pros and cons you can offer would so help because honestly I am getting sick about this decision. It is supposed to be fun but I just want to make sure it is used. My son says yes but I also say every Monday I am starting my diet...offer advice to all PLEASE!!!

Unless moving is out of the question, you may want to consider buying a house that already has a pool. Otherwise how has your experience been with the above ground pool you had? Did you enjoy taking care of it? Were you able to keep the water sparkling clear? Was your son the only one to use it or did you enjoy it as well? How long do you plan to be in your current house?

If you would enjoy the in ground, buy it. That's what I'd do.

Moving is out of the question we just built this home well about 6 years ago. No complaints taking care of the above ground. My son used the pool mostly then my husband and I think last year I never went in it and the year before maybe once. But honestly I don't go in because I get bored in it. We have a 24 foot round and I like to swim laps and in a 24 it's like as soon as you start you are done. Now when we go on vacation and its of course an inground pool, I am always the last one to get out. No plans to move for some time...

- - - Updated - - -

Ha Casey I know but I am just wondering will it get used...now if my son was 5 years younger it would've been a no brainier...but I have to say I so even just enjoy sitting by inground. Water is so tranquil to me!

I would suggest that you talk to some deck builders about what you want and get a price quote before you decide. $20k for a pool, install, and trex type decking sounds low to me, unless it is an extremely small deck. Our quote for trex was $32k for deck alone - pool and install would be another $6 on top of that. At which point you might as well be doing an inground pool...

You sound exactly in the same dilemma we are in, plus our neighborhood is not the nicest so an inground pool isn't going to add anything to the home value.

I talked to a pool builder and he gave me some great advice so I'll pass it along to you (he was able to address our situation because he put in an in-ground pool for someone in the neighborhood)
A pool is a very personal decision. When your kids are young and you have a large family, you build a pool for playing and swimming. As you age you have to think about how you would use the pool. It doesn't sound like your husband is a real swimmer, so would you use the pool all by yourself for just swimming laps? Would your husband be more likely to use a spillover spa while you are swimming in the pool?

As you age, would you use the pool more as a centerpiece in your backyard to grill and have people over (then using the pool more as a water feature) - adding fountains and waterfalls? If you like the deep end, is it because you like to dive in, or because you swim down to the bottom. Would that get old if you were doing it by yourself?

Then the next phase in life comes (if you plan to stay in your home into retirement) - would there be young family members coming to visit (perhaps grandchildren or young nieces and nephews?) If so you may want to think about if they would enjoy using the pool as well.

I know I didn't answer your question, but no one can really give you an answer, only an opinion. Some people love above ground, some don't. My sister has an above ground with a deck all the way around it and they love it. They are big into playing volleyball so it works perfect for them. You really have to think about how you will use the pool now and when your son is gone. Does he have friends come over? Would you be worried about them diving into an inground pool and getting hurt, or are you consistent with the a no diving/jumping rule now?

I hope this helps. Please post your decision as others probably have the same dilemma. It is helpful to others when they search the forum, read the advice and actually see an outcome.

Well we took the "plunge" and we are getting an inground...my husband is a huge swimmer, was a lifeguard when he was young, along with swim team, now as an adult he scuba dives has been doing that for 35 years. I didn't read my above post before writing this so not sure what I said about hubby. He will I guarantee be "scuba diving" in our pool and teaching our son. Myself I like to tread water. Not sure how much I will dive anymore. Or swim to the bottom due to ear issues, but I will tread the water. We do plan on staying here for some time, don't see us moving for next 20 plus years unless stairs become an issue In our "golden" years. We are 45, and 43 so hopefully we have some time. I would love to one day draw grandchildren here a loooong time from now son is 14, finishing 8th grade. But we have extended family. Yes I also am excited to have it as a backdrop, and we are getting some water fountains as well. It was a big decision, lots of stress, to get there, but when it is done I know we will be happy. Thanks for everyone's input ;)

If I could have put an in ground in my back yard, I would have. The retaining walls would have cost more than the pool though. Please start a build thread in the Construction forum so we can watch as it progresses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.