Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you test for sulfate levels?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question How do you test for sulfate levels?

How do you test for sulfate levels? Is the sulfate level likely to get high using dry acid to decrease pH using liquid chlorine following TFP guidelines?
    20 year old 19K gallon IG vinyl pool (new liner in 2014)
    Hayward 1HP Super Pump, VariFlow XL valve, sand filter
    AquaGenie skimmer, TF-100 test kit
    TroubleFree since 2014!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you test for sulfate levels?

For most people sulfates will never get too high, so it is not normally tested for. For that matter, it is difficult to even find a suitable test that is affordable.

If you use a great deal of dry acid constantly for long periods it is possible for sulfate to get too high. We recommend using muriatic acid in these cases, both due to sulfate issues and because it is far less expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have never seen dry acid for sale anywhere. Why would you use it?
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA View Post
    Easier/safer to handle.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

5. Back To Top    #5

They sell it in may places, often referred to as something like; "pH Minus" or "pH Down".

With the slightest modicum of care and attention, using liquid acid is perfectly safe. However, the dangers of using it are wildly exaggerated much of the time.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA View Post
    It's very easy to use dry acid and I'm a little nervous about muriatic acid because of the comments I have seen here about fumes, etc. I started using liquid chlorine last year after understanding the disadvantages of using dichlor, triclor and calcium hypochlorite. I just want to find out if the disadvantages of sodium bisulfate outway it's advantages. So far, it is about as clear as mud.
    TroubleFree since 2014!

7. Back To Top    #7

Sulphates can attack concrete if the levels become too high. We used sodium bisulfate for years without any side effects (We have a vinyl pool) but we didnt know about using muriatic acid then.

31.45 muriatic acid is about half the cost of pH down from Walmart and 14.5 muriatic acid (the safer stuff) is about the same price as pH down. Might I suggest you try the 14.5 MA from Lowes to see what its like? Then it doesnt bother you switch to the 31.45 MA and try it.

I find using MA is easier and quicker than using sodium bisulfate you just need to watch what your doing with it.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by smackdab View Post
    Sulphates can attack concrete if the levels become too high. We used sodium bisulfate for years without any side effects (We have a vinyl pool) but we didnt know about using muriatic acid then.

31.45 muriatic acid is about half the cost of pH down from Walmart and 14.5 muriatic acid (the safer stuff) is about the same price as pH down. Might I suggest you try the 14.5 MA from Lowes to see what its like? Then it doesnt bother you switch to the 31.45 MA and try it.

I find using MA is easier and quicker than using sodium bisulfate you just need to watch what your doing with it.
    Thank you, smackdab, for your reply. I think, maybe, your suggestion to try the 14.5 MA is a good one. In what ways do I need to "watch what your doing with it"?
    TroubleFree since 2014!

9. Back To Top    #9

Just be careful with it. This is really no different than using sodium bisulfate. Dont intentionally breathe it or spill it on things.

If for some reason you do spill it on yourself put the affected part into the pool whether it be your finger or your whole body. Again this is no different than using sodium bisulfate or other chemicals and doesnt mean to sound scary.

If you think about it once you mix sodium bisulfate in a bucket with water to go into the pool it is basically the same thing as MA. I hope you dont broadcast dry sodium bisulfate into the pool. The only difference would be transporting it since one is dry and the other is a liquid. There really is nothing to it. I use a measuring cup to add my MA. You could get come chemical resistant gloves to use.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

When I said 31.45 MA is about half the cost, I meant it works out to be about half the cost to lower the same amount of pH, but a gallon of 31.45 and 14.5 MA and 5lbs of pH Down is about $7.50 each. In other words a gallon of 31.45 MA will last you about twice as long as 5lbs of pH Down. I hope that came out right.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter